Wednesday, August 24, 2016

COLLEGE FOOTBALL PREVIEW

ACC

Champion – Clemson

“Clemsoning” appears to be dead and gone and Clemson has established themselves as a premier college football program! They don’t rebuild, just reload. Having the Heisman frontrunner and potential number 1 NFL draft pick returning at Quarterback definitely helps. Deshaun Watson and running back Wayne Gallman will lead what’s expected to be an explosive Clemson offense. Not only does Clemson return the best backfield in the ACC, but receiver Mike Williams returns from the neck injury he suffered last year. Though Clemson only returns 4 starters from last year’s defense, they still have great talent at every spot. Entering last year, they only returned 3 defensive starters and finished the year with a top 10  defense, so you see why I’m confident picking them to win the league. The only thing that can prevent that to happen, is an injury to Watson or an October 29th game in Tallahassee.

Sleeper – Miami

Is this the year? Crazy to think that Miami, former POWERHOUSE has not won an ACC conference championship yet. Now, they’ve had some very solid seasons, and the “Is Miami back” questions have popped up on occasion, but they have yet to sustain greatness for the duration of a season. FULL DISCLOSURE: I’m a diehard Miami fan, and I’ve stuck with my Canes during these hard times. I’m hoping that Mark Richt can finally bring some stability to our head coaching position, because Al Golden was here about 2 years too long! Luckily, the Hurricanes have a potential 1st round pick at Quarterback in Brad Kaaya, and lots of talent around him as the Canes have recruited well. Miami’s season will simply come down to the month of October when they play Florida State, North Carolina, Va Tech and at Notre Dame. Go 3-1 in this stretch, sustain it, and maybe we’re closer to Miami being “back”.

Overhyped – North Carolina

As much as I respect Larry Fedora, I don’t see UNC having a run like they did last year. While they do have weapons, they bring in a new quarterback and lost a few key pieces on defense. While they won’t have a terrible year, I see that 11 win total from last year, dropping to about 8 wins these year. I keep seeing analysts saying they could be right back in the ACC championship game, but I don’t see it. An opening weekend win against Georgia, however could change my mind.

ACC Player of the Year – Deshaun Watson

I think Dalvin Cook is the best running back in country. He can do it all, from running to catching, as well as blocking. However, he’s in the same conference with the best player in the country in Deshaun Watson. There’s truly nothing Watson can’t do. He can throw the ball with pinpoint accuracy all over the field, as well as make big plays by using his mobility. He put on an absolute show against what some people said was the best front 7 ever in the Alabama game last year. There is no player in college football that I trust more than Deshaun Watson.

BIG 10

Champion – Ohio State

Ohio State has tremendous talent on both sides of the ball, and maybe the best coach in the nation in Urban Meyer. Assisting them is not having the issue of switching between quarterbacks this year as JT Barrett is CLEARLY the guy on this team. He will lead the Buckeyes as they look to get back to the College Football Playoff. They have to replace All American running back Ezekiel Elliott, but they have plenty of weapons on offense lead by receiver Noah Brown who was unable to play last year due to injury. They replace top 10 NFL pick Joey Bosa with his little brother Nick, so hopefully he can help a defensive line that expects to be one of the top lines in the BIG 10.

Sleeper – Minnesota

I based this pick off of a great schedule for Minnesota.  While they do return most of their skill position guys, including quarterback Mitch Leidner, they get the benefit of a schedule where they avoid Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan State. Minnesota could definitely be this year’s Iowa, and have more skill talent on offense to make some things happen if they were to get to a conference title game.

Overhyped – Michigan

Why the hell is everyone buying into Michigan? Jim Harbaugh makes a rap video, and all of a sudden everyone’s picking them to win the BIG 10 this year? All credit to Harbaugh for talking so much that he’s made his team a huge story but it’s been so much about him, and not enough about the talent on the field. Now even I’ve loved some of the shots he’s taken at the SEC, but I still want to see Michigan show more talent and actually earn some of this newfound fanfare. Luckily they have a schedule that should help them get off to a good start, and having Jabril Peppers back doesn’t hurt. If John O’Korn, the Houston transfer, can be a standout quarterback then maybe I’m wrong but for right now the Michigan hype is all talk. There at least 2 years away from being who people want them to be.

BIG 10 Player of the Year – JT Barrett 

Barrett being given the keys to the car this season should allow him to grab this award. He’s not the best passer in the world but what he can do with his legs provides a big play option on every touch for the Buckeyes. If his passing has improved even a little, I expect him to put up great numbers while leading his team to win after win.

BIG 12

Champion – TCU

I think this is the year TCU finally wins the BIG 12. Yes, they lose playmaking quarterback Trevone Boykin, but have 2 VERY quality guys battling to be the guy. Even though Foster Sawyer showed signs of being a solid quarterback in limited time last year, he also threw 3 picks against Oklahoma only threw 1 touchdown in 4 games of action. My vote is on Kenny Hill, formerly Kenny “Trill” on getting the named the starter for week 1. Hill went from being an early Heisman contender for Texas A&M to struggling, and being benched before transferring to TCU. I think he has plenty of skills and he is ready for a reintroduction to the sports world. With most of the defensive starters returning,  and a wealth of playmakers on offense, I don’t see why TCU can’t enjoy a great season and take home the BIG 12 title.

Sleeper – Texas Tech

Ok, this is the LAST year I’ll believe in Texas Tech. They have to improve and they have a special quarterback to make sure that happens.  Patrick Mahomes showed signs of last year of a guy who can do it all. He can make every throw and is also mobile enough to make things happen when a play breaks down. Now I know the Red Raiders have shown an inability to stop ANYONE on defense, but they do have talent on that side of the ball and if they are able to finish games and bend but not break I can see them being a 9-10 win team this season.

Overhyped – Okalahoma

Yea, sorry. I’m NOT buying the Oklahoma hype. They lost their best player on offense in Sterling Shepard, and their best player on defense in Erik Striker. Sure they still have talent but the last time a lot was expected for an Oklahoma team, they failed to live up to the hype. I think Baker Mayfield takes a step back this year and doesn’t do what so many expect. 3 of their first 4 games are against Houston, Ohio State, and TCU so they will have to great from the opening week and I don’t see that happening. I think they’re an 8 win team this year.

BIG 12 Player of the Year - Patrick Mahomes

We saw some of what Mahomes can do last year, but I expect that to be even better this year after he quit the baseball team so devote 100% of his focus to football. This guy has a skillset like former Heisman winner Johnny Manziel and it helps having Kliff Kingsbury there to guide him as he guided Manziel. I’m expecting HUGE numbers for him in a conference that isn’t known for their defense.

PAC 12

Champion – Oregon

Oregon is again experimenting with a FCS transfer quarterback in Dakota Prukop and if it works out they can again find themselves at the top of the conference. When Vernon Adams was healthy last year, the Ducks were really good, so they clearly have good pieces to work with. One of those pieces is the best running back in the conference in Royce Freeman. Though the casual fan may not know much about Freeman, ESPN ranks him as the 7th best college football player. Not only do you have Freeman, but you also have super talented sophomore Taj Griffin and the return of Thomas Tyner in your backfield. If you take the best backfield in the conference, and add that to a solid passing game from Prukop, I see big things for Oregon this year. Clearly, the Ducks problem has been mainly on defense, but new defensive coordinator Brady Hoke vows to bring something new to that side of the ball. He does have a defensive background and talent to work with, but if the Ducks are going to win the conference titles he needs to make these changes happen immediately. 

Sleeper – Washington State

Coming off a 9-4 season, some may not call them a sleeper but I still don’t think they have enough respect coming into the season. Mike Leach has truly turned this team around and he has a quarterback in Luke Falk who knows his system extremely well. This team has put up solid numbers for a couple of years but last year they showed their defense can play physical and that could improve this year.

Overhyped – Stanford

As much as I respect how David Shaw has kept the train going at Stanford, I think they take a step back this year. I think the departure of Kevin Hogan will loom large this season. He was undervalued across the country for everything he did for the program. He used to ball out and not having will undoubtedly have an impact on the team. They do return Heisman finalist Christian McCaffrey who does it all and broke Barry Sanders all-purpose yardage record last year, but I think his production takes a slight step back this year. Now I don’t think Stanford will be terrible but the 1st polls have Stanford at number 7 and I definitely see them more of team who will be around 20 when the year ends.

PAC 12 Player of the Year - Royce Freeman

Royce Freeman will ascend this season and become a major Heisman candidate. He has every skill you need at the running back position and will be heavily relied upon due to Oregon breaking in a new quarterback. With that side, I have him slightly edging out McCaffrey for this award.

SEC

CHAMPION – LSU

Now this is the first pick that I feel is a HUGE gamble. I’m basically counting on quarterback Brandon Harris to just be decent, which he hasn’t been in his LSU tenure so far. But fact is, they have maybe the most talent in the SEC surrounding him including Heisman candidate Leonard Fournette. With 2 bigtime receivers in Malachi Dupre and Travin Dural, all Harris has to do is get it to his playmakers and this team should be very successful! LSU typically has a great defense and this year should be no different even with new coordinator Dave Aranda. While they will go from a 4-3 scheme to a 3-4, they have the talent to be better and faster than last year. I expect the SEC West to come down to the November 5th game against Alabama.

Sleeper – Texas A&M

With everything A&M has gone through over the offseason including transfers, de-commitments, and multiple assistants coaches disciplined, you may be surprised I’m picking them as my sleeper. But that’s exactly why. Some teams can be driven by turmoil, and I believe Kevin Sumlin has heard all the chatter about his job security and he knows how important this year is. Despite the issues, the Aggies have a wealth of talent especially on offense. With game changer Christian Kirk and Speedy Noil returning, the Aggies will be tough to stop in space. Oklahoma transfer Trevor Knight will look to stabilize the quarterback position and if he can get back to how he was 2 years ago, the Aggies have a chance to make a serious run, especially with potential top 5 pick Myles Garrett on defense.

Overhyped - Tennessee

Nope, not doing it. I’m not buying the Tennessee hype this year. I bought it last year, and the year before and I will not continue the cycle! Sure they are talented, but they were talented last year as well. As good as I think Jalen Hurd is, I’m not sure the rest of the offense can win the East. Their defense should give them a chance to be in most games though. So yea, unlike most of the analysts you’ll see, I’m not picking them to win the East.


Conference Player of the Year – Chad Kelly 

Very tough choice here as there are many talented players in this league. Fournette would be the easy choice, however I’m going to go with Ole Miss quarterback Chad (Swag) Kelly. He was second team All-Conference last year and I expect him to improve this year as a second year starter. Thought he lost primary target Laquon Treadwell, he still has multiple guys to get the ball to including Evan Ingram and Quincy Adeboyejo which should keep Ole Miss’s offense to the standard set last year. Chad Kelly was nearly unanimously chosen as the 1st team SEC preseason quarterback and also declared that he was the best quarterback in the nation at media day. I think he’ll back that statement up this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment