Wednesday, September 28, 2016

WEEK 4 REVIEW AND CONFERENCE CHECK IN!!

Another great week in the books, setting up a major weekend of college football to come! Possibly a new challenger arises for Alabama, USC and Oregon continue to slide in the PAC 12, and the end of an era in the SEC. A third of the way through the season and the contenders are starting to reveal themselves. I’ll take a look at each Power 5 conference, and also look ahead to a monster Week 5 which includes THREE top ten matchups! But first…

End of an Area

Les Miles was fired Sunday afternoon from LSU. This decision may appear a year late, as I thought he should’ve been gone at the end of last year. Les was unable to develop a quarterback, and was too loyal to Cam Cameron, refusing to reinvigorate a boring offense that proved to be non-competitive in the SEC, despite the wealth of talent he had on campus. Crazy thing, LSU was literally ONE SECOND away from winning Saturday. Fittingly, a clock management issue caused LSU to snap the ball late, as quarterback Danny Etling fired a game-winning touchdown pass to DJ Clark with no time remaining. That is until the officials reviewed the play and determined the snap came after all the time ran off the clock. So there it was. Gus Malzahn was the winner of the first “losing coach gets fired” game of the year. The decision had to be made now. If you wait, and LSU ends the year 9-4 or something in that realm, and the alumni was behind him, it’d be tough to fire Les who was in his 12 year in Baton Rouge. That’s why the decision was made now! I don’t see Les sitting out for long. This man literally ate, slept, and breathed football. He’ll be back at a different program for the 2017-2018 season, hopefully refreshed and ready to give us more quotes. As for LSU, this is a top 5 job in America and there’s no doubt we’ll see a ton of big names thrown in the hat! I’ll give my favorites in the next post!

Conference Check-In

ACC

So far, it seems like the ACC is one of the top leagues in the country. Louisville has made a major splash as it’s jumped into the top 5 and deservedly so. They have the leading Heisman candidate in Lamar Jackson, and an offensive genius in Bobby Petrino at the helm. Clemson looks to be hitting their stride, and despite a lopsided loss to Louisville, Florida State should still be taken very seriously. The ACC Coastal looks like a race being Miami, and North Carolina but Duke coming off of beating Notre Dame is likely to have tons of confidence the rest of the way! Again, I’m a Miami fan so I think they have what it takes to win this division but it all starts this weekend against Georgia Tech.

BIG 10

Or is this the best conference in America. Seems to be pretty impressive so far, as multiple teams look to be contenders who can represent the league in the playoff. Ohio State is the class of the league to me. People were worried about them, as they lost over 15 starters from last year’s team but Ohio State lead by top 3 coach in America Urban Meyer, has proven to be a program that truly reloads each year! Michigan has been dominant for the most part this year but I expect Wisconsin to challenge them in all phases this weekend. I expect Michigan State to bounce back from the beating the Badgers gave them last week and look good going forward. Nebraska beat Oregon showing they could handle a major challenge from the Pac 12, even though Oregon kinda beat themselves by continuously going for 2 on every touchdown and losing by just 3 but a wins a win! North Dakota State is a really good football team so I won’t crush Iowa for taking that loss there and I expect them to also be solid. We will again a little more clarity on Saturday when Wisconsin travels to the Big House to faceoff with Michigan in a major top 10 matchup. Ohio State though, is my choice to win the league!

BIG 12

I don’t expect much from the BIG 12 as a whole. I have very little respect for the Baylor program but o well, their 4-0 and that’s all that matters. I expect Oklahoma to continue to struggle, and if Texas Tech had any kind of defense I might give them as chance as they are capable to putting up 40 against anyone. I guess, by default, my choice to win the league would be TCU. I expect Kenny Hill to continue to make plays and the defense to get better as the year goes on.

PAC 12

Another top 10 matchup this Friday features Stanford and Washington! This should be a great contest as the winner of this game probably becomes the favorite to win the PAC 12 this year. The PAC 12 is probably the deepest league in the country. I mean when Oregon and USC are in last place in their respective divisions that’s something as both of those teams don’t lack for talent at all. I honestly don’t think there’s a truly bad team in the league, which is definitely not what I could say for the other conferences. Colorado is proving to be a young up and coming team and Utah and others continue to improve. I mean UCLA has 2 losses, but one is to a good Texas A&M team in overtime, and the other was a late loss to Stanford. Arizona has 2 losses but the latest was an overtime loss to Washington. Ok, I’ll say it. The PAC 12 is the best conference in the country.

SEC

The SEC is probably the 3rd or 4th best conference right now to me. The East looks like Tennessee’s to lose right now, and Florida hasn’t beat a single good team yet. Alabama continues to not only run the SEC West, but they run college football and that’s continued to hold the league up for years. I will say that Ole Miss is probably the best 2 loss team in the country though. I mean they have 2 losses and were up by more than 20 points in each game! Their talent is crazy, I mean did you see how they beat down Georgia this weekend? A&M has been impressive, specifically their defense and the ability to stop the run! They still have a tough schedule ahead so they must continue to improve. Arkansas showed a lot of toughness in the loss to A&M , specifically the quarterback Austin Allen but they still loss by 3 touchdowns so I’m still not taking them serious in the West. I’m interested in seeing what Ed Orgeron does as the interim head coach for LSU but as I said before, Alabama runs college football until someone says otherwise.


Week 4 picks

We went 3/6 last week with picks and I just can’t forgive Florida and UCLA for blowing leads and messing up my averages! Hopefully this week goes much better.

Stanford (7) VS Washington (10)

A game featuring the PAC 12’s top defenses should make for a great Friday night. I am really looking forward to this game. Arizona challenged Washington with skill and flash, but Stanford will challenge them physically and I really want to see how they respond. All eyes will be on Christian McCaffrey as he gets a big stage game to put on an early show for Heisman voters. Those eyes include that defense of Washington’s who’s sure to be ready. Stanford quarterback Ryan Burns has shown he can make good throws but Washington has playmakers in the secondary such as Budda Baker and Sidney Jones. Washington leads the nation in takeaways so Burns should be very careful with his decision making. I’m going with the upset.

Washington 31
Stanford 27

Miami (14) VS Georgia Tech

“Now it gets real” said Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya as the Hurricanes begin conference play against Georgia Tech. Luckily for Miami, new coach Mark Richt is no stranger to the Georgia tech triple option offense they’ll face Saturday, As Georgia’ coach, he saw that every year and will surely come up with a plan to neutralize it. That combined with Miami having Kaaya, as well as a great running game make me lean their way for this contest.

Miami 30
Georgia Tech 17

Wisconsin (8) VS Michigan (4)

Michigan has looked great so far, having only been tested by Colorado. Wisconsin has passed both of their early season tests with flying colors. This is truly Michigan’s first “big  game” of the year while the Badgers have already faced off with LSU and destroyed Michigan State in East Lansing so I have no doubt they will be ready. I think that confidence will carry them in this game. Michigan has shown major talent and great team speed but I think Wisconsin will control the line of scrimmage and in that, control the game.

Wisconsin 31
Michigan 20

Oklahoma VS TCU (15)

Oklahoma really can’t afford another loss as they have started the year 1-2 but I think TCU hands them number 3 this week. I’m just not high on the talent of the Sooners this year as they’ve been exposed on both sides of the ball this year. Teams having even more film on Baker Mayfield have been able to control him somewhat this year as well. Kenny Hill will make plays down the field and lead TCU to a victory

TCU 37
Oklahoma 27

Tennessee (11) VS Georgia (25)

I don’t care that Tennessee impressed me by coming back to beat Florida this week. I will NEVER pick Tennessee to win anything because I’ve done it the last 2 years and they’ve let me down! So until they win the SEC East division, I just can’t do it! Georgia just got rolled by Ole Miss so hopefully they come back hungry this week. I think they’re a year away from actually being a contender in the division by I think them being at home gives them a slight edge.

Georgia 24
Tennessee 23

Louisville (3) VS Clemson (5)

Now for the biggest game of the night. This might be the best game of the year. 2 entertaining teams, 2 Heisman contenders in Deshaun Watson and Lamar Jackson who is running away with the award at this point. Louisville put the world on notice when it annihilated Florida State at home but this game will be in Death Valley, AT NIGHT! Not sure why I put that in all caps but it always seems to make a difference! The defending ACC champs at home, are not wanting to lose their crowns just yet. Louisville’s defense is fast and talented and they are definitely full of weapons on offense starting with Jackson. I mean if he’s able to do what he’s been doing so far this year then you might as well have the Heisman waiting for him in the locker room. However, Clemson’s defensive line has proven to be one of the top units in the conference and I think it’ll get him plenty of problems. In a showdown with 2 bigtime quarterbacks, it’ll come down to who makes more plays and at the end of the night, I expect Watson to make one more play than Jackson.

Clemson 34
Louisville 26


So wow, what a week 4 this should be! Big game after big game as teams look to continue to separate themselves. As we all know, in college football every week is a playoff. 3 top ten matchups are almost elimination games! Obviously a lot can happen between now and the end of the season but it all starts now! One of my great friends is getting married right at the kick of the Louisville and Clemson game. I really hope he doesn’t mind me utilizing the WatchESPN app on my phone, I just hope I remember to turn the sound off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment