Wednesday, October 11, 2017

My Week 6 Thoughts

Another great weekend in college football recently passed! There were quite a few games that were good including my Miami Hurricanes winning at the buzzer against Florida State snapping a 7 year losing streak! Definitely the highlight of my weekend. There was also a HUGE upset with BIG 12 favorite Oklahoma losing to Iowa State. And get this, someone even lost by single digits to mighty Alabama. This weekend only proved that you have to always bring your “A” game and nothing is guaranteed on any given Saturday.


Who is Jim Harbaugh really?

One team who learned this the hard way was Michigan. Now I’ll say this, I was listening to ESPN the other day and I heard them say that Michigan State beating Michigan was a HUGE upset. This shocked me as I was not shocked by it at all! 1) This is a rivalry game and ANYTHING can happen when rivals matchup. 2) Michigan can’t score. 3) Jim Harbaugh has no clue how to win big games. Now I picked Michigan to win by 3, strictly because of their defense, but I didn’t take into account that Michigan State’s defense would be just as good! Harbaugh is overrated. He is owned by Urban Meyer, Mark Dantonio, and any other coach in a big game. He is taking over the moniker that Bob Stoops left when he retired. He seems to get good recruiting classes but I want to see it translate on the field before we give him the love he wants. He had a sensational quarterback at Stanford that helped to mask some of his deficiencies, and an extremely talented team in San Francisco. There is no way a Michigan team this inept offensively should have been as highly ranked as they were. Michigan still has games remaining against Indiana, Penn State, Wisconsin, Ohio State and I truly think they will lose 3 of those 4. We know how Michigan fans are and a 3 straight seasons of not being a contender will surely start to wear them down.

Miami ends the streak

Finally….finally...finally. After 7 frustrating and agonizing years the Miami Hurricanes finally beat Florida State. And I wouldn’t have wanted it to end any other way. The past 3 years Miami has lost to Florida State by a combined 10 points! I have watched them come up short, and fail to close time after time. So to see them finally have a game winning drive, a come from behind win in the closing seconds was humbling, yet exciting and an extreme relief to know that it’s finally over. Maliik Rosier did something that Brad Kaaya could never do. Make the throws at the end of the game to move the ball down the field. Everyone stepped up for Miami from Travis Homer who replaced injured running back Mark Walton, to Braxton Berrios making clutch catch after clutch catch, to the Darrell Langham who made the game winning catch on just his 2nd play of the game! It was the result of a vision put in place by Mark Richt who in his 2nd season as head coach is already bringing Miami to places they haven’t been in years. He has instilled a new tough mentality in these Canes and it’s showing up every week now. Miami currently has the number 2 ranked recruiting class coming in for 2018, so it looks like these new Canes are here to stay.

Primetime Topic of the Week

Is this the worst Heisman race in years?

Let’s face it. This year’s heisman race is weak...real weak. Weakest I’ve seen in a long time. I mean I know Saquon Barkley is the favorite right now, and for good reason but who else is there? Lamar Jackson’s team has 2 losses, so he’s likely out. Baker Mayfield just lost to Iowa State  and Sam Darnold isn’t what the media said he was. There is a lack of exciting, charismatic stars right now in college football and it’s a problem. If someone asks you, who’s the one guy they have to watch play, what do you tell them? Jake Browning? It’s kind of a joke at this point. The 2 top teams in the country in Alabama and Clemson don’t have household names on their team right now. Georgia has looked great, but I’m not setting my DVR to watch Jake Fromm throw 10 yard passes, sorry. Kenny Trill? Yea, I’d pay to watch that guy play. But this new laid back Kenny Hill? Nope! We’re only 6 weeks so I’m hoping some more big time talents emerge, but I’m definitely not holding my breath. I hear there’s some studs in the 2019 class though, so I guess I’ll have to wait.


Week 7 Picks

After going a season best 4/5 last weeks in picks, I’m excited to pick this week’s games. There are several I could go with so it was tough to narrow it down. Several teams will be tested by lower ranked or unranked teams. I definitely plan to be in front of a television Saturday watching college football happen.

Michigan VS Indiana

Michigan is looking to bounce back against a tough Indiana team. Michigan still has an issue scoring which is a problem when you go up against Indiana who has proven to be a tough team at home. They will be ready for the upset. Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh will most likely do everything he can to get his team ready after losing last week. Indiana can win this game if they control the ball, and stop the run. This game will be close but in the end, I think Michigan takes it.

Michigan 17
Indiana 14

Texas Tech VS West Virginia

In what might be the game of the day, Texas Tech takes their 4-1 record to West Virginia.Texas Tech has scored under 30 points only 1 time this year, so the Mountaineers defense will have to be a lot better than they have been this season. New Texas Tech quarterback Nick Shimonek is 7th in the nation in yards this season and West Virginia’s defense did allow TCU to rack up some yards last week. Texas Tech’s defense has been maligned in recent years but this year, they actually seem somewhat respectable. West Virginia definitely has the talent and took undefeated TCU to the brink last week. I expect this game to be a high scoring shootout.

Texas Tech 41
West Virginia 33

Auburn VS LSU

LSU finally got a somewhat impressive win against an average Florida team last week by a score of 17-16. The defense was able to hold up well but Auburn brings in a new challenge. They bring in a quarterback  in Jared Stidham who transferred from Baylor and has given Auburn the passing threat they haven’t had. He’s top 10 in the nation in completion percentage, and passer rating. Combine that with the running of Kerryon Johnson and LSU will be in for a major challenge. LSU’s offense still leaves a lot to be desired, and frankly I’m not sure they have enough to win this game.

Auburn 26
LSU 17

Georgia Tech VS Miami

Another test for Miami. Georgia tech comes in off a bye week to get prepared for the challenges Miami will present. The last time the Yellowjackets took the field, they were dominating North Carolina. It’s always difficult to prepare for a triple option offense, but if Miami has one advantage it’s that head coach Mark Richt coached at Georgia for years and has tons of knowledge on this offense. Miami does have some injuries coming into this game but this isn’t a team that lacks talent. I expect Rosier and the offense to perform well and continue to momentum gained from the Florida State win.

Miami 30
Georgia Tech 13

Washington VS Arizona State

I think Washington needs to be on upset alert this weekend. Arizona State is a pretty good home team and they already have an upset of Oregon earlier this year on their resume. Washington is extremely talented and looking to make a return to the playoff but tough games like this on the road will test them. In the end however, I don’t know that Arizona State has the talent to be there in the 4th quarter.

Washington 37
Arizona State 27

Those are my picks for the week! Hoping for a perfect 5/5. Very interested in seeing how Miami performs off the big win last week. And also, does LSU gain any momentum from beating Florida? Coach O surely hopes so. Does TCU avoid losing at Kansas State which has been a tough place to play in the past? I can’t wait to get these questions answered Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment