College Football, O how we've missed you!
Fall has always been my favorite time of the year...the weather starts to get cooler, my wardrobe gets better, and most importantly, college football returns. I say this year every year but this time I really mean it. It feels like FOREVER since I woke up to College Football on a Saturday morning and watched Herbstreit and the crew prepare me for the day with all their analysis and bad picks.It’s something about watching Corso put that crazy headgear on that just brings a smile to my face. College Football is the true essence of sports where passion always reigns supreme. It makes it easier when it feels like we have an amazing year to look ahead to. And on the eve of the season we still have quarterback situations at 2 of the prominent powerhouses in Clemson and Alabama that we still don’t know how they will shake out. But I can guess how things will go…
Conference Outlook
ACC
I am going to do everything in my power not to be biased right now and say MIami will win the league. Clemson is the best team overall in this conference. They have what some people say may be the best defensive line in college football history, and I won’t say all that but it might be true. Clelin Ferrell, Christian Wilkins, Dexter Lawrence, Austin Bryant could all easily be 1st round picks next April. They are almost unblockable and if you’re an offense constantly in 3rd and long, it will be a long day for you. On offense, they return quarterback Kelly Bryant but also one of the best high school recruits in awhile in Trevor Lawrence. Some think he will take that job before seasons end, but Bryant has shown he can lead Clemson to big wins. Miami is another contender who starts their season off with a bang against LSU. Miami has a pretty great defense themselves and tons of speed that may lead to back to back division championships after not winning one in a decade. As a MIami fan, I am taking a wait and see approach as long as Maliik Rosier is still the quarterback. He was the definition of Jekyll and Hyde last year. Throwing a game winning touchdown pass against Florida State, and then not being able to move the ball against Pittsburgh. Reports say he’s gotten better but it’s different when those bright lights are on. Miami does have skill guys and lots of talent so I expect them to continue to rise in the ACC. After finishing 6th in their division last year, Florida State comes in with a new coach in Willie Taggart who was only at Oregon for a season. They also return Deondre Francois who was the quarterback in 2016 before being hurt and missing almost all of last year. This team is deep at the running back position and I expect them to excel with team speed on both sides of the ball. They definitely won’t be 6th this year.
So with that being said, what do I expect to happen in this year’s ACC?
Winner - Miami (Sorry, I lied)
Sleeper - North Carolina State -Underrated quarterback who can make plays
Underachiever - Virginia Tech - I’m just not a believer yet, still has holes to fill.
BIG TEN
This year is playoff or bust for JIm Harbaugh at Michigan. He was brought back with so much fanfare and high level expectations that he has failed to reach. No matter how many celebrities he brings to the campus, the fanbase is not going to keep letting him slide. He brings in former Ole Miss quarterback in Shea Patterson who I think is overrated. It’s not like Ole Miss was just great when he was there either so Harbaugh is saying alot by basically attaching this important year to him. They return 17 starters however, so I honestly think they have a great shot to win the league. The defensive should be exceptional but with Michigan it’s always about how many points can they score? Urban Meyer issues aside, Ohio State is talented, very talented. But they lose OSU legend JT Barrett and have 2 unproven commodities to replace him. Dwayne Haskins showed signs that he could be really good last year but he will be pushed all year by true freshman Tate Martell. The defense should be elite again as Nick Bosa, a likely future 1st rounder just like his brother, returns to the edge. Wisconsin should have a really good team again led by defense and running back Jonathan Taylor who is a beast! Quarterback Alex Hornibrook was one of the worst I watched last year, especially when facing pressure. He needs to take a big step if Wisconsin expects to do the same.
Winner - Michigan - Playoffs or bust
Sleeper - Michigan State - Simple, I believe in Mark Dantonio and an improved offensive team
Underachiever - Wisconsin - Quarterback play will hold them back from where they want to be
BIG 12
Several new quarterbacks in this conference. No more Baker Mayfield in Oklahoma, Mason Rudolph in Oklahoma State and Kenny Hill in TCU just to name a few. I always like seeing new guys thrown into the fire and seeing as how the BIG 12 typically doesn’t have great defenses, the fire won’t be too hot. Will Grier at West Virginia is a returning quarterback who had a great year last year and has plenty of weapons. It’s no doubt the Mountaineers can score, but can their defense stop anyone? That’s what their hopes will rely on. I don’t get the Kyler Murray hype. I’ve seen this story before when he was at Texas A&M, and wasn’t that impressed honestly. So he delays his promising baseball career, comes back to school and wins the job. Their must have been some improvement right? I have to see it to believe. They don’t lack for weapons, thats for sure. But with a defensive that is questionable, I don’t see why so many are picking them to win the league. Oklahoma State returns maybe the best running back in the county in Justice Hill and highly skilled receivers, but can new quarterback Taylor Cornelius be the leader that Rudoph was?
Winner - TCU - Great defense, talented offense and a new quarterback who will make a name for himself
Sleeper - Iowa State - Great defense and a super smart and gifted quarterback in Kyle Kempt
Underachiever - Oklahoma State - Teams will stack the box against Hill all season
PAC 12
I’m actually extremely excited to watch how this conference plays out. I expect Oregon to be really good. They have in my opinion, the best quarterback in the country returning in Justin Herbert. He is far and away the best to me and I have believed that since I saw him play as a freshman. There isn’t a throw he can’t make. The Ducks lose all world running back Royce Freeman to the NFL but return other talented skill guys. Defense may be a struggle but offense won’t. USC is going to be something to watch as they replace quarterback Sam Darnold with a guy who should still be in high school right now. Either way, it’s USC and they have talent, especially at running back and defensively they have the size to make plays against most teams in the league.Washington opens the year with a game in Atlanta against SEC power Auburn so we will immediately see what they’re about. They have a lot of offensive speed and a really good quarterback in Jake Browning and I expect them to compete on Saturday.
Winner - Oregon - Best quarterback in the country
Sleeper - UCLA - Forget what he did in the NFL, but Chip Kelly can coach college football
Underachiever - USC - Young and talented but a year away
SEC
I expect the SEC to be really good this year. Unlike a few of the past years when I killed it, the teams should be alot better. Everyone from Alabama to Mississippi State has talent on their roster. Alabama is Alabama and will likely be there in the end, no matter who is at quarterback. The defense is going to be special and Nick Saban will do what he has to do to make everything else work. Auburn may have the best quarterback in the league in Jared Stidham but can Gus Malzahn finally get over the hump and be what so many fans think he is as a playcaller. Georgia is talented and loaded on offense. They have Jake Fromm returning at quarterback but also a major recruit in Justin Fields as well who will likely play this year as well. I can’t to see what Jimbo Fisher does in College Station. As much money as he got paid, he needs to justify is ASAP. I’m just not sure A&M has the talent to do it this season. If Stidham isn’t the best quarterback in the league, it might be Tyler Russell in Mississippi State. He is a quarterback who can really do it all from spreading the ball to his weapons, and also being mobile enough to make plays on the ground. So will the SEC justify my predictions of them being a great league or will it once again be top heavy with 3 good teams and a bunch of terrible ones that the media makes excuses for.
Winner - Georgia - Great talent on both sides of the ball, explosive playmakers
Sleeper - Ole Miss - Best receiver in the league and a balanced quarterback that can get it to him
Underachiever - South Carolina - 1 year away from being very good
WEEK 1 PICKS
Miami VS LSU
That’s how I like my team to start the season!!! A big game against a non conference high level opponent! This game will be in Dallas, almost a home game for LSU but Miami has a team that can play on the road. The defense will be hype this game. LSU will be ready but I don’t trust Ohio State transfer Joe Burrow to be ready for this type of atmosphere. Malik Rosier learned a lot last year and had some big games against big time teams. LSU has tons of speed and versaility but not enough. I see Miami making some plays through the air against a young LSU secondary and winning a close one.
Miami 26
LSU 17
Washington VS Auburn
Washington brings a high powered offense down south to Atlanta for a Saturday night showdown. 2 great college quarterbacks against 2 solid defenses. If there is one question mark on Auburn it’s their defense and they will surely be tested by Washington. Jake Browning will test the secondary with speedy receivers all night, and I think it will come down to which quarterback can make a play.
Auburn 31
Washington 30
Florida Atlantic VS Oklahoma
This game will be MUCH closer than the spread indicates! Lane Kiffin has taken over the FAU program and made them a top 25 type of ballclub. They have lots of talent on both sides of the ball and several former high major guys as well. These guys will be excited to compete in Noman. Like I said before, I think Kyler Murray is talented but I’m not sure if he’s a great quarterback so I’m looking forward to seeing how his 2018 season kicks off. Because of overall depth, I give OU the slight edge.
Oklahoma 37
FAU 30
Michigan VS Notre Dame
This should be a great opener and good test for both teams as they begin to start a very important season for both coaches. Michigan has a defense that should be top 5 by the end of the year while Notre Dame has an offense that could be really good, or really bad. We should also get a good idea of what Shea Patterson can bring after he left Ole Miss. Notre Dame has some good skills players offensively, but probably not enough.
Michigan 23
Notre Dame 13
Virginia Tech VS Florida State
The Willie Taggart era kicks off this weekend. He comes to Florida State known for turning programs around and not that FSU is terrible but after all the drama the program has endured over the last several years they need that stable coach to lead them back. Virginia Tech will have a long season ahead of themselves after losing several great players from last years defense. I think Josh Jackson takes another step this year but a lack of skill players will halt him from carrying Virginia Tech back to contention, while Deondre Francois will come in looking to make a huge impression after missing almost all of last year for FSU.
Florida State 30
Virginia Tech 17
LINE OF THE WEEK
Oregon State +38.5 VS Ohio State
Ohio State will be good this year, no question about that. But 39 points better than Oregon State in a season opener with new guys on offense and a new quarterback?? I don’t think so. While Oregon State is probably a year away from being 2 years away, they still have guys that can make plays on offense and a stable enough defense to at least not get completely embarrassed. Not having Urban Meyer on the sideline will have an effect on this team as well. If this was week 8 maybe, but I see Oregon State hanging in there for at least a half.
No comments:
Post a Comment