Wednesday, October 28, 2015

MID SEASON REVIEW

As we head toward the final stretch of the college football season, I wanted to take a look at the playoff outlook and see what teams still had the best chance to make the College Football Playoff. There are still a ton of BIG games coming up with major playoff implications. Teams still looking to make a statement. For some teams like Iowa, that opportunity won’t come until a conference championship games. For others, such as LSU, and Florida State, those opportunities come as early as next week! This is what makes it so exciting for all college football fans. Teams with one loss, like an Alabama, a Florida State, a Notre Dame, among others know they can’t afford another loss if they want a chance to hold the trophy. So I’ll break it down by conference, and see who still has a chance and who I think will get it done. Here’s “My Take”…

ACC

Clemson is DEFINITELY my pick here. I guess Florida State still has a chance if they manage to  go get a win in death valley which I do not see happening. And does anyone really believe in 1 loss Pittsburgh? They’re schedule is about to get tougher and I can easily see them losing another 2-3 games before this year ends.

BIG 10

The BIG TEN has played out pretty much the way I expected it too. While Ohio State hasn’t been the dominant team we all expected, they are still undefeated and remain the one of, if not the most talented team in the country. Cardale Jones struggled all year at the quarterback position and with the change to J.T. Barrett at that position, I expect that talent to finally be able to flourish. Michigan State, like Ohio State, hasn’t been dominant this year but still are undefeated and control their own destiny to get to the playoff. Win out and they’re in. Michigan has been impressive, particularly on the defensive end and but a 2 loss BIG TEN team probably is not going to make it in. Also, Iowa is undefeated and have a good a chance of anyone to make it to the conference title game, and with a weak schedule the rest of the way, I don’t see them losing until they  get there.

BIG 12

For some reason this is the only conference that schedules all  of their big games at the end of the year so there is still a lot to play for to win this conference, especially when all these schedule literally no one in the non-conference. So basically we have TCU, Baylor, and Oklahoma State who are all undefeated. We also have Oklahoma who has 1 loss and still plays each unbeaten team so they will have a chance to play themselves into the playoff.  This should set up a great stretch run for the BIG 12. With the injury to Baylor quarterback Seth Russell, I definitely think that hurts their chances. My pick is TCU. I know they have a VERY suspect defense, but how can you bet against Trevone Boykin??

PAC 12

Stanford looks like the favorite to win the PAC 12 this year. With traditional powers like Oregon and USC having down years, the stage is set for Stanford to take over. Utah is still in the mix but you have to wonder how they will respond after the beat down USC just gave them. Stanford quarterback Kevin Hogan is climbing up draft boards and seeing him lead Stanford to the playoff will show you why.

SEC

It all seems so simple. LSU VS BAMA on November 7th, winner takes all right? NOT SO FAST. While that is the likely outcome of the SEC, there are still a couple other teams who will have a say in how the SEC is won. Ole Miss with only one conference loss and a win over Alabama is still number 1 in the West and Florida also only has 1 loss on the season. As good as Florida is, I think losing their starting quarterback will be too much for them to overcome. Ole Miss looked great against Texas A&M, but looked anything but that against Memphis. I just don’t believe in the consistency of Ole Miss to pick them to win the SEC. So to my original question. The answers yes. LSU vs Bama, November 7th..winner takes the SEC. I’ll go with Alabama.



"THE U"

Full disclosure. I am a Miami Hurricanes football fan. I have always been loyal to the U. From the ups when we were consistently winning in the late 90’s, early 2000’s and the last several years as we have struggled to make bowl games. No matter what, I’ll be a Miami fan. Over the weekend, we FINALLY made the decision to fire Al Golden. Now I respect and appreciate what he did for the program. Stood by the Canes as they went through NCAA investigations, and sanctions and still managed to recruit great recruiting classes year in and year out. Miami currently has the number 6 ranked recruiting class so it’s obvious he was doing something right. Golden’s main issues was not winning. He could not develop talent and guys never seemed to improve under his watch. If you want to keep students, and fans interested in your program you must win games and win excitingly! There is WAYYY to much to do in Miami for people to want to watch your team play when you’re not very good. Also, having a stadium that’s 45 minutes away from campus probably isn’t going to entice many students to make that trip. Miami needs to upgrade their facilities, their stadium, and there coaching staff before they should be taken seriously again. I’ve seen several names come up as far as possible coaching candidates, and not many excite me. Miami typically doesn’t pay a lot to coaches but if they want to return to national relevance, the time for that to change is now. As a fan, I just want them to hire the best coach possible. Kevin Sumlin would be GREAT, but I doubt that happens. I believe in the AD knowing how essential it is now to make the right hire, so I’ll comment on that once I see a few more realistic names comes up! It’s been said that “The U invented swagger”. Now is the time to get it back.

I am extremely excited for the rest of the year! Bigtime matchups almost every week that will define what we see in January. Close conference races, Heisman moments, and players climbing draft boards. We’re at the point where we don’t have to guess who’s pretending and who’s contending now. All the big boys have stepped up and shown us they’re real. Now it’s just a matter of who’s the realest!


                                                                      “My Take”


                                                   College Football Playoff Rankings
                                                                  1.  Ohio State
                                                                                        2.  Clemson
                                                                                        3.     TCU
                                                                                       4.  Stanford
                                                                  5.   Baylor
                                                                  6. Alabama
                                                  

                                                         


No comments:

Post a Comment