This blog thing is real to me. I got a
passion for sports, a passion for writing, and a passion for causing reactions!
I want to see what readers think when they read my work, and see if they agree
or disagree. Most of all, I love debating sports. I could honestly do it all
day long. I can sit and watch First Take, or any other ESPN debate show,
KNOWING that I have a better thought or perspective than them. Debating is fun.
Now I don’t just mean debating with some idiot who just talks because he
happened to catch a Sportcenter episode last night, I mean matching wits with
someone who actually knows what the hell he’s talking about (sort of!). Which is
why I brought my bro Jalynn back into this blog scene with me! I think I write
and debate better when it’s another person involved and NOONE fires me up about
sports like him, plus this will allow me to cover more sports, and give the
people what they want! So from now on, this “My Take” blog will be a little
different. I’ll give mine and he’ll give his and you decide whose take is on
point. With that said, he’ll drop the intro for the first NBA blog of the year!
Welcome Back Jalynn!!
It’s here! It’s FINALLY
here!!! That’s right ladies and gentlemen, basketball season is here. I love
sports of all kinds but I must say that I’m a basketball guy through and
through. I don’t enjoy anything more than a competitive, high level basketball
game. So it’s only right that my guy D-Will welcomes me to his blog (again)
with an NBA Kickoff Edition. With that said let’s get right into some preseason
picks…
MOST IMPROVED PLAYER – CJ MCCOLLUM
Me being a Duke fan, it
kills me to make this pick. I watched this guy single-handedly destroy my Blue
Devils en route to one of the biggest upsets in NCAA history in 2012. But I
can’t be biased, and with Wesley Matthews sporting a Mavericks uniform this
year and LaMarcus Aldridge signing up to be Tim Duncan’s successor, the way has
been paved for him to become Damian Lillard’s backcourt running mate. I expect
CJ to have a big year doing what he does best, scoring the basketball. There’ll
be plenty of shot attempts available as that Portland roster is currently under
reconstruction.
ROOKIE OF THE YEAR –
JAHLIL OKAFOR
The most polished and
pro-ready NBA prospect in this rookie class, offensively. Much like last year’s
R.O.Y. I think Big Jah will put up big numbers on a very bad team. The fact
that he has Nerlens Noel to help mask his defensive deficiencies, means he’ll
be able to play an even bigger role in the Philadelphia offense.
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE
YEAR – ANTHONY DAVIS
I’m not as far on the
Anthony Davis bandwagon as everyone else may be right now, maybe one foot on
and one foot off, but his talent is definitely undeniable. He led the league in
blocks last year and can legitimately guard 4 positions on the floor effectively.
I can’t think of another player I would want anchoring my team on the defensive
end. I can also see Jimmy Butler and LeBron James challenging Davis for this
award. With Kevin Love being expected to take on a bigger offensive role, and
LeBron feeling a little disrespected by not already having this award on his
mantle, I can see him locking in defensively all year.
MVP – RUSSELL WESTBROOK
I’m going out on a limb
with this one but while everyone is infatuated with Steph Curry, Russell
Westbrook has quietly been arguably the best player in the NBA since Kevin
Durant went down with his foot injury. KD has been telling us that we don’t
know what we’re talking about when it comes to Russ. He spoke about his shot
selection and leadership style, and now that we’ve seen what he’s capable of
with and without KD in the lineup, I can’t say that he was wrong. He has looked
absolutely unstoppable as of late and a full year with a completely healthy and
reloaded OKC team behind him, I can see him putting up BIG numbers.
WESTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPS - Oklahoma City Thunder
In a loaded Western
Conference, this was a TOUGH pick. There are 4 teams that have a legitimate
shot at coming out of the West. I went back and forth a million times on who I
should pick. With Pop possibly having the most talented team that he’s ever
had, it’s hard for me to see him fumbling at the opportunity to send Timmy D
out in style with his 6th championship.
And I can’t go without mentioning that the reigning NBA Champs are looking to
repeat. But I have to make these predictions assuming that everyone will be
healthy and if the Thunder is healthy, they have 2 top 5 players in the league
surrounded by size, athleticism, youth and for the first time since their last
Finals run, DEPTH!!!! If my pick for the MVP, the former MVP and that loaded
front court can stay healthy, I got the Thunder over the Spurs in 6.
EASTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPS- Cleveland Cavaliers
Yea…..not sure much else is needed here… no, I’m serious that’s
all I have to say.
NBA CHAMPS – Cleveland Cavaliers
As I mentioned before, my
picks are based on the assumption that everyone will be healthy. If Cleveland
is healthy and my Western Conference pick holds true, Cleveland should come
away with this series. For some reason, it seems like KD has some type of
mental block against REALLY going at LeBron in big moments. Kind of like LeBron
with the Spurs, he just has his number. The NBA is all about matchups and
there’s one thing that the Cavs can do that no one else in the league can, take
Russell Westbrook completely out of the game on the defensive end by letting
LeBron dominate the ball. Russ wears on Point Guards with his size and hounding
them on defense, and making them guard him on the offensive end. Cleveland will
spread the floor, put LeBron at the point and dare OKC to collapse so LeBron
can kick to open shooters. Cleveland over OKC in a 7 game series.
By the way…. If Spurs come out of the West, that changes
everything. It’s okay to hedge my bet, right?
-Jalynn
Not bad. You made some solid picks and I even
agree with a couple but you definitely missed on a couple as well. I’m glad you
mentioned you were basing this on everyone remaining healthy because that’s all
we can judge! If everyone’s healthy, I definitely like my picks over yours.
Here’s “My Take”
MOST
IMPROVED PLAYER – JORDAN CLARKSON
I admit it. I love the pick of C.J. McCollum
but I had to be different on this one! I’ll go with Jordan Clarkson. Yea, I
know you might be thinking he plays with Kobe and how will he ever get shots with
Kobe chasing Jordan’s scoring record. I’ve been a fan of Clarkson since he
played for Tulsa! I knew when he
transferred to Mizzou he would do exactly what he did, which was get buckets. This
guy has great talent and potential and I think he’s headed for a great year.
Also, I have a theory. D’Angelo Russell will be TERRIBLE! Eventually, Jordan
will be moved to the point where he’s more likely to be able to put up some
really solid numbers.
ROOKIE OF
THE YEAR – EMMANUEL MUDIAY
Again, hell of a pick by Jalynn. I’m a DUKE
fan so of course I’m riding with Okafor. But Mudiay will be a great too. This
will be a guy who will put up fill the stat sheet night in, night out. Okafor
will put up great numbers on an awful team but I think winning has something to
do with this award and I believe that Denver will have a much better record
than Philadelphia, simply because Philadelphia doesn’t even want to win games
right now. So yea, I see Mudiay being a 16, 5, and 7 guy which should be enough
for him to hold up that trophy at season’s end.
DEFENSIVE
PLAYER OF THE YEAR – DWIGHT HOWARD
Yea, I know I’m in the minority but yes, this
is the year Dwight gets back to his Orlando days. This was the first offseason
in a few years where he hasn’t spent the offseason rehabbing some injury. He
had a chance to just work on his game on both ends, get stronger, and live in
the gym. With Ty Lawson playing the point for the Rockets now, defenders will
easily get around him and into the paint where Dwight will block shots all
night long!
MVP- JAMES
HARDEN
Why do I feel like I’m the only person
picking the guy who finished 2nd in the MVP race last year? I think
people forget how ridiculously talented Harden is, and he doesn’t get enough
credit for the improved defense he showed last year. A great scorer who now
will have another ball handler to take some of the pressure off of him. Now he doesn’t
have to bring the ball down, call the play, pass the ball, get it back, and
then score. He can simply do what he does best, which is put the ball in the
basket and still play a great all-around game. Plus he’s dating a Kardashian,
and everything they touch has success right?
WESTERN
CONFERENCE CHAMPS – GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS
Can you say REPEAT? I almost picked the Spurs,
and yes I know everyone in the media made a big deal about how the Warriors got
lucky last year and that’s how they won the championship. Look, I understand
they played some teams without their best player(s), but I think all this talk
only adds to the fire and the chips on their shoulder. They will be even more
motivated this year and bring back mostly the same team, except David Lee.
Almost forgot to mention, they also bring back the MVP Steph Curry. If they
stay healthy, I see no reason why they can’t come out of the West. They are the
champs until someone beats them, and I don’t see anyone in the West knocking
them out.
EASTERN
CONFERENCE CHAMPS – CLEVELAND CAVALIERS
Yea, sorry. Can’t disagree on this one.
Kyrie, Lebron, Love, role players, and it’s the East.
NBA CHAMPS –
CLEVELAND CAVALIERS
I REALLY wish I could disagree with Jalynn on
this one but I can’t. If these teams meet again, as I suggested, I have the
Cavs in 6 games. Cleveland took them to 6 games last year with no Kyrie, no
Love, and no Varejeo. The Cavs will have the depth to match the Warriors this
time around. Kyrie outplayed Steph in Game 1 last year. Unfortunately, he was
injured in the overtime and we missed out on what could have been an EPIC
finals matchup at that point guard position. He should be healthy this time
around and I have no doubt he will play this series with rage. With Love, the
Cavs can match the Warriors small ball lineup that hurt them last year and not miss
a step on either end. For the first time, the city of Cleveland will have their
moment.
-D-Will
So there you have it! The first NBA blog of
the year. Mainly predictions and thoughts on this upcoming season. Should be a
great year as the Western Conference is STACKED and the East should be slightly
more competitive as well. I can’t wait to see the year Kobe has, and I’m
looking forward to “Kyrie’s Return”. We’ll keep the blogs coming you just keep
reading! And keep the feedback coming, whether it be positive or negative, we’re
here for it!
This is “My
Take”
No comments:
Post a Comment