Thursday, November 5, 2015

COLLEGE FOOTBALL CHECK-IN

OVERREACTION TIME!!! It’s the time of the year when fans nationwide will overreact as the first College Football Playoff Rankings were released. The committee broke it down like this:
                                                                        
                                                                  1.    Clemson  
                                                                  2.    LSU
                                                                  3.    Ohio State
                                                                  4.    Alabama
                                                                  5.    Notre Dame
                                                                  6.    Baylor
                                                                  7.    Michigan State
                                                                  8.    TCU
                                                                  9.    Iowa
                                                                10.    Florida

Now obviously, coming off of last year’s debacle where TCU was truly screwed over in their bid for the playoff, their fans are probably already going crazy. Seeing themselves undefeated and sitting at number 8, definitely won’t sit well in Fort Worth. Iowa is another team that’s undefeated yet find themselves barely in the top 10. But I won’t overreact. It’s the first playoff ranking, with several more to go. Now I disagree wholeheartedly with Notre Dame being at number 5. That was definitely the shocker for me. Besides they have a loss already, granted it came to their number 1 team on their ranking but still. I would rank almost every team ahead of them in that top 10. I was also surprised at Alabama being at 4. Not sure why though, as we all know the committee LOVES that overrated SEC. I guess losing to an Ole Miss team with 2 losses that was destroyed by the number 10 team Florida gets you in the top 4. I don’t know even know what Alabama’s best win is this year. The good thing about these rankings is that everything will basically play itself out. For a lot of these teams, its simply win out and you’re in.

                                                                My Rankings
          
                                                                  1.   Clemson
                                                                  2.   TCU
                                                                  3.   Ohio State
                                                                  4.   LSU
                                                                  5.   Stanford
                                                                  6.   Alabama
                                                                  7.   Michigan State
                                                                  8.   Baylor
                                                                  9.   Florida
                                                                10.   Iowa

Upcoming Week
As I said before, a lot of this will play itself out and it starts this Saturday. At least 3 bigtime matchups are taking place, allowing some teams to finally make a real statement as to what they’re all about. Finally Oklahoma State will get to show if they’re truly legit or not. The Bama/LSU rivalry is renewed, and Florida State gets a chance against number 1.

Alabama vs LSU
Alabama can’t afford a loss. LSU possibly could but if they lose, that would instantly place them 3rd in the SEC West. Luckily, they do get a chance to play Ole Miss down the line as well. This should be a GREAT game. I just pray it’s nothing like that BORING 9-6 game we saw a few years ago. I honestly don’t see Leonard Fournette running through this Alabama defense. They may have the best front 7 in the country led by Reggie Ragland. My main question is Alabama’s quarterback, Jacob Coker. He plays so up and down, that I don’t trust him at all. He has shown he can make plays when the time comes but he has also made some crucial mistakes. While Brandon Harris can also be a wild card, he made some throws against a great defense in Florida that makes me believe more than before. Basically this is a tough call but it’s in Tuscaloosa. With that said, my prediction:

Alabama 27 LSU 23

Clemson vs Florida State
With only one loss, Florida State is not completely out of this race. A win against the number 1 team in the country would be saying something. Clemson has shown me that they are REAL this year. They have a Heisman candidate at quarterback in Deshawn Watson and talent on both sides of the ball. Dalvin Cook for Florida State may be the best running back in the country. Florida State should compete but I just think Clemson will make a few more plays. This game will come down to turnovers and I trust Clemson to not make those mistakes... My prediction:

Clemson 34 Florida State 21

TCU vs Oklahoma State
A matchup of 2 undefeated teams. I expect nothing less from a BIG 12 game, than a high scoring affair and this should be no different. TCU has the leading Heisman candidate (at least to me), in Trevone Boykin who I’m sure is giving OSU defensive coordinators nightmares as they prepare for this matchup. OSU is coming off of a week where they scored 70 points in a comeback win against Texas Tech. TCU is getting a little more healthy on defense and I think that’ll be the difference. As much I respect OSU’s coaches, and athletes, I respect TCU’s more. My prediction:

TCU 41 Oklahoma State 27

Miami’s WIN
As I stated before. I’m a Miami fan so there was nothing I loved more than seeing Miami get a MUCH NEEDED win in a stressful and emotional week where the coach was fired and a player had a tragic loss. I have seen so many of these crazy plays attempted and finally I saw one that actually worked! Definitely glad it came from the U! Now look, I’m not naïve. I KNOW there was some questionable calls on this play and NEVER have I ever seen a referee come on the field after a review, and then say they need more time to review. I swear it felt like 20 minutes of reviews and checking with the guys upstairs. Obviously the refs missed a knee down, as well as a block in the back, and another one that was questionable. That, I don’t deny. BUT on Duke’s previous touchdown, did the quarterback really get the ball across the goal line? I don’t think he did. The refs missed that call. So basically Miami wins this game anyway. And for the idiots that even brought overturning the result into question, that’s probably the dumbest thing I have ever heard! As Jalynn mentioned, if you do that then let’s just look at missed calls in every game that happen and overturn the result afterwards. You CANNOT set a precedent like that! At the end of the day, this goes down as an epic play and an epic win! Miami!

JT Barrett
I don’t have a ton to say on the JT Barrett situation. He made a dumb decision to get behind of the wheel of a car while impaired. That could potentially cost him and Ohio State going forward. He battled for the starting job all offseason, and basically competed all season long to be handed to keys to the offense and this is what he does when he gets it? NOT SMART! So this could go one of 2 ways. Cardale Jones could play great against Minnesota, earn his spot back and send JT back to the bench. Or Ohio State could actually lose to Minnesota which is VERY possible and end their postseason hopes! Either way, Barrett’s decision could affect more than just himself, especially from the financial side as well.

-D-WILL

Now, let’s see what Jalynn has to say!

JT Barrett

So am I the only person, outside of Ohio State, that doesn’t think this is a big deal? The headlines make this look MUCH worse than it actually is, “JT Barrett Loses Scholarship over DUI”. First of all, he didn’t lose his scholarship. He forfeited his summer financial aid, BIG DIFFERENCE. Summer financial aid checks are huge to athletes, heck any financial aid checks are huge to athletes. But this is essentially like a fine, you want him to think twice before making a decision, legally hit him in his pockets. He’ll have quite a bit less spending money next summer. Secondly, he didn’t have a DUI. He was driving while impaired, which is a misdemeanor. There are a lot of people thinking he really should lose his scholarship or be kicked out of the University, which is preposterous. He blew .08……. .08!!!! Do you know what it takes to blow a .08? On average, it takes about 3 beers to blow a .08. I don’t know about you guys, but it takes more than 3 beers to get me to the point where my judgment is affected. After 3 beers I can’t even tell that I’ve had a drink. And if you’re reading this and acting like you’ve never driven a car after drinking at least 3 beers…..just stop. We’ve all been in college before. And JT is 6’1” 225lbs, I’m pretty sure he can handle 3 beers. BUT, wrong is wrong and he should have been smarter, he’s underage, he’s the captain of the team, he has to be a better leader for his teammates and all that jazz. <—- that’s my disclaimer. Moving on…

Duke/Miami

Hands down the craziest finish to a game that I’ve ever seen in my life!! Unreal! The officials completely blew it but let’s take a minute and thank them for allowing us to witness one of these plays that actually worked. *slow claps* Now, there’s a lot of talk that this game should be overturned and I couldn’t disagree more. And here’s why. You can NOT punish Miami because of the officials’ mistake…mistakes…several, critical mistakes. I’ll turn to the go-to line for coaches when they have a player that costs them the game, “One play doesn’t decide a game. Everyone could have made an extra play earlier in the game to keep us from being in that position.” Of course, that never makes anyone feel better because no one thinks about plays leading up to that point, they only remember that one critical play that decides who wins and who loses regardless of what did or didn’t happen during the game. But in this situation, Duke has to realize that when you’re a 7pt favorite to win AT HOME against a struggling Miami program that just fired their coach, you have to make sure the game isn’t this close in the first place. The officials have been suspended, rightfully so, and that’s about as far as this one needs to go. I don’t think the NCAA wants to set a precedent of overturning games over 1 play with this insignificant game. Because what happens when an official makes a mistake in the 3 minutes into the 2nd quarter and the team on the wrong end of that bad call loses? Will the NCAA look into overturning the game then? Yeaaaa….. Let’s let it go.

College Football Playoff Rankings

So the first Playoff Rankings are out and I couldn’t be more excited!!!!!!! :) ………could you sense the sarcasm reading that? If not, I’ll tell you, it was sarcastic. This might be the most insignificant thing that gets talked about all week long. We’ll see those upset that they got snubbed, the SEC has too many teams ranked, bowl projections, and then half the teams in the Top 25 will lose by the end of the year and all of this talk won’t matter because they were too busy worrying about where they’re ranked mid-way through the season instead of focusing on taking care of business ON THE FIELD. Let me put this into perspective, last year in the first Playoff Rankings there were 3 teams in the Top 4 that were from the SEC WEST. That’s one division in a conference if you didn’t realize. For those of you that don’t realize, the SEC West can only send 1 team to the conference championship game. So how in the HELL can you have 3 teams in the projected playoffs? By the end of the year, only one of those teams remained and do you know what eventual champion Ohio State was ranked in the first Playoff Rankings? 16th. So, yea I’m not reading too much into this and I honestly haven’t even looked at the entire list. I just so happen to see the top 4 as I scrolled through Twitter. I did notice that 2 SEC West teams were right there in the Top 4 again. Since it’s one less than last year, maybe next year they’ll get it right and only choose 1. Who knows we’ll see. But this weekend will take care of that issue. Hey D Will, you like that segway?

Big Games This Weekend

There are 2 games this weekend that are absolutely can NOT miss TV. Bama/LSU and Clemson/Florida State. Alabama/LSU has the makings of the 2011 game written all over it, that’s the game that everyone in the country was tuned in to watch #1 LSU and #2 Alabama clash in the battle of the top 2 teams in the country. The winner might as well had been handed the BCS National Championship trophy right then and there. And then 9-6 happened and everyone was disappointed. I honestly believe that game is what triggered the tide to turn, no pun intended, with everyone’s perception of the SEC. How can the 2 top teams in the country not score a single touchdown? But then you have the SEC fans saying that it was a product of great defense, even though other teams didn’t have trouble finding the end zone against either of these defenses. But that’s a different topic for a different blog. This is a new year! And you’ll have Leonard Fournette, the future Heisman, against the 4th ranked defense in the country! We’ll get a glimpse into if he’s the real deal or does he just bully lesser opponents?

And then you Clemson/Florida State. Clemson, boasting a Heisman hopeful of their own in Deshaun Watson as well as the nation’s 5th ranked defense, hopes to keep that undefeated record against Florida State and Dalvin Cook. Some people believe Dalvin Cook to be a better pro prospect than Fournette. They say he’s more elusive, better at avoiding contact instead of trying to be a bruiser. Which is true, but let me remind you of the last “super elusive” running back that came out with high expectations. Does Reggie Bush ring any bells? All of Fournette’s critics seem to think that his “run through you” mentality won’t work at the pro level, well it seemed to work for one guy that is SCARILY similar to Fournette, and that’s Adrian Peterson. It also seems to be working just fine for Todd Gurley. But as I mentioned before, this weekend will tell us a lot about these Heisman candidates, but their teams as well. I’m definitely looking forward to it.


-Jalynn

No comments:

Post a Comment