Thursday, December 1, 2016

CHAMPIONSHIP WEEKEND

Now it’s getting real! Championship week is upon us! Wow, it seems like just yesterday I wrote the first blog of the year and now we are down to only 1 week left in the college football regular season! It’s been many ups and downs and changes this year. Teams we may have thought would be contenders have fallen back in the crowd, but the real contenders are still standing with a chance to make the college football playoff. Each conference has a chance, whether a great chance or not and I’ll take a look at that now.

PLAYOFF CHANCES

ACC

Clemson is clearly the ONLY chance the ACC has of representing themselves in the college football playoff. They are closing strong and Deshaun Watson has made a nice charge to get back into the Heisman race. Early season thoughts about the ACC potentially getting 2 teams in the playoff expired amid Louisville’s late season collapse. I don’t want to downplay Virginia Tech but many expect Clemson to roll on to the second playoff in a row. Virginia Tech still has a lot of talent and I think they’ll definitely give Clemson all they can handle. Jerod Evans has shown big play capability from a dual threat aspect and will be a focus of the Clemson defense.

BIG 10

Now this is where things can get crazy! The BIG 10 championship is upcoming and features Wisconsin and Penn State. That’s right. No Michigan, and no Ohio State even though they currently sit at number 2 in the playoff rankings. The committee members have to be praying that Wisconsin wins this game because if Penn State becomes the conference champion, I don’t see how you leave them out of the playoff. Michigan is 3rd in their own division. I don’t want to hear them being an option at all. They’re done. This should come down to Ohio State and Penn State, especially if they win Saturday. Ohio State currently sits at number 2, and only have 1 loss. Penn State has 2 losses, but they beat Ohio State and are in 1st place in their division. Now I know it’s tough to see Ohio State dropping out of the playoff while sitting at number 2 in the rankings but I remember when TCU dropped from 3rd place to 6th place after winning a game 50-3. Who know’s what the committee will do, but I am firm in thinking that Penn State should clearly be in the playoff if they win Saturday.

BIG 12

This conference clearly is on the far outside looking in. It comes down to Bedlam. Oklahoma VS Oklahoma State. Now it’s HIGHLY doubtful that the winner of this game gets in the playoff. I mean Clemson, Washington, and Penn State would all have to lose for them to even be seriously considered. Chances of that happening are HIGHLY unlikely, but hopefully the game is entertaining!

PAC 12

Washington and Colorado play in the championship Friday and this should be a very entertaining game! These teams are the only teams in the conference that have a REAL chance to make the playoff, even though USC is rolling! Just came a little too late for them. I think if Washington wins, their definitely in. Colorado would still need help if they won.  They would likely need Clemson and Penn State to lose as well. Whether they get a chance or not, to go from 2 wins to the conference title is already a successful season!

SEC

Alabama is the ONLY team that has a chance in this division. Clearly.

I can’t wait until this weekend! Great games with high stakes. Everything’s on the line. I’m not sure if I’m more excited for the games, or the rankings to come out on Sunday. This is what college football fans live for and I hope it doesn’t disappoint. We could either have a weekend where everything goes as planned or we could have mass chaos. I’m good with either one.

                                         CHAMPIONSHIP PICKS

(8) COLORADO VS (4) WASHINGTON

I’m really looking forward to watching this game! I know some people dislike the PAC 12 conference or think it’s a weak league but it’s not! It is one of the most entertaining conferences. I apologize to SEC fans that it doesn’t have bad offenses like your league which somehow entertains you so much…but back to the game! I could see this one going either way! Colorado has a really good defense and are fast and physical. Sefo Liufau is a tough playmaker who might give Washington fits! He can really make game changing plays, I mean who knows what happens if he doesn’t get hurt against Michigan? Jake Browning is also bigtime for Washington and has steadily climbed up the Heisman boards. Washington has the playmakers and a fast defense that makes them give them the edge…slightly.

WASHINGTON 27
COLORADO 21


(10) OKLAHOMA STATE VS (9) OKLAHOMA

Bedlam is always a fun game to watch. These 2 teams are true rivals and I am expecting fireworks in this matchup! Oklahoma has a quarterback who has played very well lately, and a wide receiver in Dede Westbrook who may be the best in the nation! Mason Rudolph is also very talented and has been the heart of the Cowboys attack this season. I think this game will be a shootout! I think Oklahoma State takes this! Not sure what chance they have in the playoff with 2 losses, but one of them shouldn’t have counted! Should be interesting!

OKLAHOMA STATE 41
OKLAHOMA 31


(7) PENN STATE VS (6) WISCONSIN

There’s been so much talk about Penn State this week, you have to imagine all of the pressure on them! I actually don’t know that Wisconsin isn’t the better team! They have a great defense that will try and shut down Barkley, and hold McSorley in check. They also have a great running back in Corey Clements. In the end however, I think Penn State wins this one late in a defensive slugfest.

PENN STATE 17
WISCONSIN 12

(15) FLORIDA VS (1) ALABAMA

There’s not a ton of analysis or reasoning that this game needs. Alabama should destroy Florida. I will be surprised if Florida gets the ball past  the 50, much less even score.

ALABAMA 31
FLORIDA 7

(23) VIRGINIA TECH VS (3) CLEMSON

Virginia Tech is the clear underdog in this game but I don’t think they will be scared at all! They have weapons on both sides of the ball and a quarterback who can make bigtime plays. They have size at the skill positions and in the secondary to match up with Clemson’s standout wide receiver Mike Williams. Deshaun Watson came in with so much pressure and hype this season and to some he had a slow start to the year. He’s definitely finishing strong! He leads a high flying offense into this game and a desire to get another crack at the national title. I think he’ll make more than enough plays to get it done.

CLEMSON 41
VIRGINIA TECH 24

                                 ONESHOTSPORTS PLAYOFF RANKINGS

                                                     1. ALABAMA
                                                     2. CLEMSON

                                                     3. OHIO STATE
                                                     4. WASHINGTON
                                                     5. PENN STATE
                                                     6. MICHIGAN

No comments:

Post a Comment