Tuesday, November 15, 2016

PLAYOFF MADNESS

What a weekend! There’s a reason why they remember what you do in November and we got a first hand look at it on Saturday! There were literally GREAT games all day long and plenty of upsets! 3 of the top 4 teams lost which hasn’t happened since 1985. People will probably focus on the top 3, but the Texas Tech VS Oklahoma State was also a great game among many others! Patrick Mahommes is better than Lamar Jackson but no one knows it! But back to those upsets. How much chaos did that actually cause? Maybe not as much as you think…

Playoff Madness

Wow..so we went into this weekends game with the playoff rankings as follows.

      1)   Alabama 2) Clemson 3) Michigan 4) Washington

Looks great, every team deserved to be there! Only issue was that Clemson, Michigan, and Washington all lost! So let’s look at the losses and the possible impact.

Clemson lost by 1 point at home to a Pittsburgh team that came in 5-4. To me, that record is deceiving! Pittsburgh is a good team. They beat a top 10 team in Penn State, lost by 1 touchdown to another top 10 team in Oklahoma State, and 3 of their 4 losses came by 3 points or less. People are undervaluing the value of this loss! Now, should Clemson have won this game? Yes, no doubt! But they came in not ready and not focused! Deshaun Watson has to stop turning the ball over but the real reason for that loss was Dabo. I have NO issues with Clemson going for it on 4th and 1 to try and seal the game but you don’t do a freaking toss play! You either run it straight up the middle, or you put the ball in your best player’s hands, roll him out and let him make a play! In the end, I don’t think this hurts Clemson in the long run. They’re basically in a win and you’re in situation. I’ll get to their ranking later.

Michigan also lost by 1 point on the road in Iowa…at night! Now, I didn’t do a blog last week because of just being busy with other things but this would have definitely been my upset special of the week! Michigan hasn’t impressed me much this year and they really haven’t beaten anyone worth noting outside of Wisconsin and Colorado after their starting quarterback got hurt. They also haven’t played many games outside the state of Michigan so a loss on the road in Iowa doesn’t surprise me. Iowa has struggled this year but I still have a lot of respect for them going forward! This loss could really cause a major shake up in the BIG 10. Michigan has to win out in order to win the league, but if Ohio State beats them, neither of the major powers in the conference will be in the conference championship game.

Washington lost to USC at home! Now this is a tough loss for sure and it hurts because even though I still have a ton of respect for the PAC 12, it’s clear that the committee doesn’t. USC has been surging ever since they made the switch to Sam Darnold at quarterback and this kid can REALLY play! Still, losing to a 3 loss team won’t help you much in the standings and I expect them to take the worst fall of the other 2 teams that lost. Washington is still very talented but I still see another loss on their schedule this year in the Apple Cup.

So as you can see, I don’t think these losses will cost these teams much. I saw 2 losses on Washington’s schedule eventually, but I wouldn’t be shocked if they win out either. Clemson and Michigan are still in win and you’re in mode so 1 loss doesn’t hurt you that bad! All I know is that we are in for a great last month of the season!

Return from the Dead

So every year we have those teams that start off the year terribly! We get to firing coaches and social media goes crazy and writes them off. There’s always a few teams that are able to bounce back and make a run! That’s what I’m choosing to focus on in this segment.

Washington State

In the first post of the year, I called Washington State my surprise team to win the PAC 12. When they started 0-2, a lot of people thought they were done and was thinking Mike Leach might be gone. Since then, they haven’t lost a game and have blown out a lot of those teams they’ve faced. Their offense has been clicking and Luke Falk is passing the ball all over the field. And unlike some of Leach’s Texas Tech teams, the defense is also making big plays. Washington State has 2 regular season games remaining, on the road against Colorado, and the Apple Cup against Washington. Both of those will be VERY tough games but I can easily see Washington State prevailing and making my surprise pick come true.

Oklahoma

So Oklahoma was a team that I picked in the preseason to not live up to the hype, and after 3 weeks with them sitting at 1-2, it was looking like I was right! Fast forward 7 weeks later and they haven’t lost since! Baker Mayfield has found his groove lately and Dede Westbrook has taken the role of Sterling Shepherd and become a Heisman contender. I literally had a conversation with an Oklahoma fan about it being time for Stoops to move on. They have a huge game this week on the road in West Virginia, but win or lose, they still recovered to have a great year. 

LSU

All of those early coaching firings we discuss every day that never happen, actually happened at LSU. Les Miles, finally out! Even though I thought he should have been fired after last year. Maybe the AD read my blog a little late. Anyways, LSU has been a REALLY good team since Coach Ed Orgeron has taken the helm. They’ve won every game, except for Alabama but I was still impressed at how they played. They have mixed up the play-calling and are no longer predictable on offense. While they still don’t get a ton of help at the  quarterback position, it seems like every other position has been inspired by Orgeon. I know people say LSU needs to go after a big name coach, but I disagree. Just keep a winning one. And Orgeon wins.

USC

Apparently I was wrong on USC twice this year. 1st, I thought Clay Helton should have been fired from day 1. And 2nd, when Max Browne was benched for Sam Darnold, I again thought they were insane. But here we are coming towards to the end of the year and NOBODY wants to play USC. They just went on the road to Washington and dominated a team which I had been calling the most complete team in the country. Sam Darnold is a REALLY good player and quite frankly has just made plays that Browne couldn’t. Not to mention the defense is looking like a USC defense of old. 3 losses won’t get them into the playoff, and maybe not even in the conference championship game, and that makes every other team breathe a sigh of relief.

Playoff Ranking

      Alabama      
 Ohio State
Clemson
 Louisville
   Washington
  Michigan


Pick 6


Louisville (4) VS Houston

UPSET ALERT!!!! Thursday night games have been trouble for lots of teams over the years and I have had this date circled on my calendar as the next big upset in college football. Houston is 8-2, but most importantly they are undefeated at home. This game will not be too big for them. They have wins over Florida State and Oklahoma in the last 2 years so they will be up to the challenge.  I think this game comes down to who makes the last play. Greg Ward or Lamar Jackson. Even slightly banged up, I think Ward makes it happen here.

Houston 34
Louisville 31

Oklahoma State (13) VS TCU

Oklahoma State needs a win here in order to keep their hopes of a BIG 12 championship alive. TCU is coming off a severe beat down of Baylor, but lost 3 of their previous 4 and the win was by 1 point against a dreadful Kansas team. TCU will surely compete but Oklahoma State has been, and will continue to be the better team.

Oklahoma State 31
TCU 20

Florida (21) VS LSU (16)

I don’t think this game will be that close. I think Florida is TERRIBLE. They have an even worse offense than they did last year and that’s saying something. LSU is playing their best football of the year and will be looking to keep it up. Florida’s defense is tough but I see Guice and Fournette being able to find holes and make plays. Not to mention, Coach O needs every win he can to have a shot at the job!

LSU 23
Florida 7

Indiana VS Michigan (6)

Word broke yesterday that Michigan starting quarterback Will Speight was out for this week’s game and maybe longer. He wasn’t great but it’ll be an adjustment having a new guy under center. Indiana is one of those teams that are never really good but always compete, just as they did against Penn State this past weekend. I just don’t think it’ll be enough.

Michigan 27
Indiana 20

Oklahoma (8) VS West Virginia (10)

HUGE game in the BIG 12. It could truly go either way. While Oklahoma State doesn’t have any quality wins, they have showed talent on both sides of the ball and I expect them to challenge Oklahoma upfront, as well as in the passing game. Oklahoma just has more playmakers on offense and will not stop attacking the Mountaineer defense. I see Dede Westbrook making a few more plays than West Virginia can cover.

Oklahoma 36
West Virginia 28

Washington State (20) VS Colorado (12)

Big game in the PAC 12. Can Washington State continue their winning streak on the road? Colorado will definitely make it tough, and they can definitely play defense. Problem is, they have a big time offense coming to town. Luke Falk is a big-time quarterback and Washington State has several playmakers. I just think their talent out-weights the talent of Colorado. Close game.

Washington State 31

Colorado 23

No comments:

Post a Comment