I haven’t spoken much on the NFL, at least in blog
form but wow what a season it’s been! So many things can change from one year
to the next in the NFL which is why it’s been so great! Teams you thought would
be locks to win their divisions probably won’t be making the playoffs this
year. And players you may have doubted are showing up and showing out! In this
blog, I’ll check out every division and give my thoughts and predict a winner.
This should be fun!
AFC BREAKDOWN
AFC EAST
Per the usual, the Patriots will clearly win this
division. Tom Brady looks like the best to ever do it and that defense is still
making plays! From Gronk, to Edelman, Blount, Hogan and the others, Brady makes
everyone look better. Rex Ryan has the Bills at 4-4 through the first half of
the season and has a supporter of Rex, I’d love for them to make the playoffs.
I’m definitely looking forward to seeing what recently un-retired athlete Percy
Harvin can bring to the team. The Dolphins and Jets are still terrible. Both of
those teams need help at several positions on their roster but as long as Brady
is in New England, it really doesn’t matter what they do.
AFC WEST
Could this be the best division in football? It’s
definitely a prime candidate! The defending champion Denver Broncos, Kansas
City Chiefs and the Oakland Raiders are all sitting there with 2 losses, and
even though they’re only 3-5, San Diego is a good team. Phillip Rivers truly
does all he can to drag that team along. Derek Carr is someone I ALWAYS thought
would be great and he is finally showing
why. People may have doubted him to do his brother’s earlier NFL struggles but
Carr has truly shown he’s different. He has given Michael Crabtree new life and
along with Amari Cooper and the other skill guys, they help make this offense
go. The defense continues to struggle which may be the downfall that keeps this
team from going as far as they want but with Carr behind center, they
definitely have a chance. The Broncos still have the elite defense in the NFL
and have to with the up and down play of new quarterback Trevor Semien. The Chiefs
are a balanced team but still need to do a better job of running the ball and making plays on offense. I think the
Broncos will win this division but it will definitely be a tight race.
AFC NORTH
I’m a Steelers fan! I admit it, and despite Le’veon
Bell missing the first few games, Big Ben being hurt, and Martavius Bryant out
for the year, I’m happy to see us at the top of the division. It was reported
that Roehtlisberger might be available to play this week and we NEED him back
to continue to hang on to the division. Landry Jones just isn’t that guy. The
Bengals have taken a step back this year and you never know which Bengals team
will show up. I have zero faith in them being able to come back and win this
division but they have talent so they may surprise me. The Ravens are solid and
well coached as usual but they just don’t have enough talent on offense to make
a real play for the division. The defense is still highly productive but
unfortunately that’s their only strength. The Browns are AWFUL. All in all, fan
or not, the Steelers will surely win this division.
AFC SOUTH
My pick to win this division is the Tennessee
Titans. They have real good talent on both sides of the ball and Marcus Mariota
continues to improve. The combination of Demarco Murray and Derrick Henry has
been good as well. The current division leader, Houston still has flaws and I don’t
see them holding off the Titans. Brock Osweiler hasn’t impressed me at all and
the Texans have to rely on their defense to wiin every game for them to even
have a chance. ANDREW LUCK IS OVERRATED. Yea, I’m not buying into him at all.
The Colts will regret giving him 87 million dollars for sure. I don’t want to
hear about a lack of talent or options, he just simply isn’t as good as people
want him to be. The Jaguars are still terrible and will always be terrible.
NFC BREAKDOWN
NFC EAST
So I think it’s alright that since I was a fan of Dak
Prescott and Ezekiel Elliott in college, that I can silently root for the
Cowboys in this division. I’ve never been a Cowboys fan, primarily because they
never win anything and act like they do. But that’s changed as they have jumped
out to a 6-1 start behind a rookie tandem that is bigtime. Elliott is a top 3
running back right now and Dak just knows how to win games! If Jerry Jones
wants to keep this up, he won’t start Tony Romo when he gets healthy and the
Cowboys will win the NFC East. The rest of the division all have winning
records as well, but I don’t really believe in any of them. The Giants are
super inconsistent but they do have talent, especially on the offensive side of
the ball. If their defense gets better then maybe they do challenge for the
division. Carson Wentz has been good for the Eagles but he doesn’t do a ton
downfield which I think you have to do if you want to actually go far in the
playoffs. The Eagles do have a good defense that will keep him in games and not
force him to have to make big plays because put in that position, I think he
fails. The Redskins are talented and Kirk Cousins is a good player. If he stays
consistent and he’s able to find the guys downfield, I can see them continuing
to push forward for the division lead.
NFC WEST
Seattle is my winner here. I know the Seahawks have
a terrible offensive line that doesn’t create a lot of holes for the running
backs, or protect Russell Wilson but they still have a great defense and Russell
can still make big plays. He’s definitely one of the quarterbacks in the league
that I trust. The Cardinals aren’t who I thought they would be so far this
year. They still have a good defense but with Tyrann Mathieu going down with an
injury this past week, we’ll see how they plug that hole. David Johnson has
been a beast and currently leads the league in rushing but Palmer needs to get
more out of the passing game for them to challenge Seattle. The Rams have been
solid but without the running game, it’s unlikely they’ll be a playoff team. As
much as I personally like Case Keenum, it appears his days as a starter are
numbered depending on how he plays the next few weeks. That defense is still
very good however, and will keep them in games. Colin Kaepernick is still trying
to get back to himself as he was just re-inserted back in the starting lineup
recently. The 49ers are probably one of the least talented teams in the NFL.
That’s their issue. They have ZERO chance of making the playoffs this year.
NFC NORTH
Now this is a division that still has some intrigue!
Minnesota was the last undefeated team in the league but have since lost 2
straight. Their defense is ELITE but they have glaring issues on the offensive
side of the ball. It’s not Sam Bradford’s fault either. Hard to be successful
when your offensive line is terrible! Aaron Rodgers is still very good, but he
has clearly not been the same quarterback. I don’t think he’s a top 5
quarterback in the league this year and the Packers need him to be that for
them to reach their goals. The defense is still good so let’s see if that’s enough.
Matt Stafford started off the year playing very well. He’s definitely a good
quarterback but he needs help on both sides of the ball to help the Lions
return to the playoffs. At 2-6 it’s difficult to see the Bears making a miracle
turnaround and going to the playoffs. They will likely be in the quarterback
market this offseason as no one can foresee Jay Cutler returning. I’m a John
Fox fan so I hope he’s able to get things turned around in Chicago. My pick to
win this division is Green Bay.
NFC SOUTH
This division has Falcons written all over it. They
have an MVP candidate in Matt Ryan, and skill guys that make it easy to score
and make big plays. While the defense leaves something to desire, they seem to
improve from game to game. They are definitely my favorite to win this
division. The Saints are still the Saints. They have a great offense but a
defense that will never allow them to get back to the Super Bowl days. Drew
Brees is still ELITE and as long as you have him, you have a chance to win any
game. Tampa didn’t take the step I thought they would this year under a new coach.
Jameis is still not where I thought he would be at this point. They might be a
year or 2 away from doing anything. And what happened to the defending NFC
Champion Carolina Panthers? Did Josh Norman mean that much to this team? I don’t
think so, but overall the team just isn’t as good. Cam Newton hasn’t been his
dominant self and instead has been continuously crying each week about calls.
The Panthers offensive line also has not stepped up to help the running backs
or quarterbacks out.
I am REALLY looking forward to the rest of the
season. We’ve seen many teams get off to hot starts before and then completely
meltdown in the 2nd half the season. I think we are starting to see
that with Minnesota already, but who knows! We’ve also seen teams get hot at
the right time and take off. Can Detroit do that? Tennessee? All I know is I
guarantee there will be some shakeups this year in the NFL and teams that we didn’t
think would make the playoffs will be there when it begins. Can Tom Brady
really win the MVP in only 12 games of play? So many questions that need
answers! Thankfully, there’s still 8 weeks left to play!
No comments:
Post a Comment