On the eve of the first playoff rankings of the
year, it was a chance for teams to make a statement and show why some were
worthy and others were not! In a weekend that saw 4 undefeated teams lose, and
an entire conference likely knocked out of the playoffs, the clarity of what’s
to come appears to be showing up. BUT it’s definitely not that simple! With
only one month left in the season, now is the time for those contenders to
really show themselves! As a great man once said, they remember what you do in
November!
Contenders
Alabama – This one shouldn’t be
debatable. I think we ask ourselves the same question every year. “Is this
Saban’s best Alabama defense ever”? It might be. From a playmaking secondary to
a defensive front that seems to always get in the backfield, Bama has it all
again. They have a true freshman quarterback in Jalen Hurts who can make plays
with his arms and legs and a solid running game that adds to their greatness.
The Crimson Tide look like they’re indeed headed for the playoffs. They might
be tested somewhat when they go to LSU this weekend, but with Saban I don’t
doubt they’ll prevail.
Clemson - Could they be headed
back to the playoffs? It definitely looks that way. When they opened the season
beating Auburn on the road 19-13, people actually started to doubt them. But
that win looks very good now as Auburn has shown it’s actually a very good
team. Clemson is 8-0, including wins against Louisville at home, and on the
road at Florida State, and they still haven’t played their best game yet. They
are still trying to cut down on the turnovers and giving up big plays. If they
get those mistakes corrected, I can see them getting back to the championship
game.
Michigan – I admit it. I didn’t
think Harbaugh could turn this around this quickly. 2 years ago, Michigan was
5-7 and now they’re looking like a true title contender. The defense definitely
passes the eye test, but I think the defense may hold them back from winning a
championship. They have quality wins against Wisconsin, and Penn State, but as
I said before, November 26th against Ohio State is the game we are
all looking forward too!
Washington - Could they be the most
complete team in the country? The Huskies truly have it all. They can play fast
or slow. They can throw it downfield, or run the ball. They can win shootouts,
or close low scoring affairs. And they have a future NFL quarterback in Jake
Browning. I don’t have to see anything else from Washington to know they have a
shot to win it all. They have a good secondary that can make plays and also
rush the passer and the skills guys offense to make even bigger plays. This is
what Washington envisioned when they hired Chris Pederson from Boise State.
Auburn – Clearly, a lot has to
happen for Auburn to sneak into the playoff. They already have 2 losses, but
once is to Clemson, and the other to A&M. Some people came away from the
opening game against Clemson thinking Auburn was going to be terrible this
year. I came away impressed with that defense and their ability which has only
gotten better as the season as grown. Auburn has been the most improved team in
the country and I expect to give Alabama a real challenge when they meet at the
end of the year.
Pretenders
Ohio State – Yes, Ohio State is
really good and talented but I would truly be SHOCKED if they won the
championship this season. JT Barrett hasn’t made the plays he made the first
part of the year and they just haven’t looked the same the last couple of
weeks! The defense is still elite and can be good enough to take them far, just
not far enough.
Texas A&M – Yes, this has been a
good year for the Aggies. The 1 in the loss column looks impressive but does anybody think a Trevor Knight led
team can go all the way? Texas A&M has talent on both sides of the ball but
there’s no way I look at them as a true contender for the title. They still
have games against Ole Miss and LSU and I expect them to lose at least one of
those games.
Nebraska – To be very short and
simple, NO TEAM WITH TOMMY ARMSTRONG WILL EVER WIN ANYTHING OF SIGNIFICANCE.
Wisconsin – I do like Wisconsin as a
team. They have a really good defense and have shown they could step up and
play in big games. They have 2 losses, but those are both losses to teams that
were better. It took Ohio State overtime to beat the Badgers, and a play of the
year style interception for Michigan to seal the deal. At the end of the day,
while I believe Wisconsin has a championship defense, I just don’t think they
have the offense that can win a game against those top teams.
Louisville – Look, Lamar Miller
right now is the Heisman trophy winner and I don’t know what it would take for anyone
jump him, but I just can’t see Louisville getting to the playoff. Their only
chance would be if Clemson completely melts down towards the end of the year
and gets 2 losses, there’s no way Louisville can win the ACC which the
committee claims to be putting extra emphasis on. As much as I would like to
see Miller play against that Alabama or Michigan defense, it looks like we won’t
get that opportunity.
So these are my contenders and pretenders so far.
There’s still a month left in the season and a lot can change up until now! I
can see someone else jumping into that top 4, specifically if Michigan loses to
Ohio State, or Washington loses to Washington State. I firmly have more belief
in Alabama and Clemson to get to the playoffs and possibly a rematch of last
year’s title game. With a big weekend ahead, I’m definitely ready to see how
the rankings change next week.
MY TOP 6
1.
Alabama
2.
Clemson
3.
Michigan
4.
Washington
5.
Texas A&M
6.
Louisville
Pick 6
So unfortunately, after I wrote last week’s blog I
had a computer issue and it completely deleted so I didn’t put my picks out! So
I’m definitely hoping to go 6/6 this week.
TCU VS Baylor (13)
I think I’ve made it clear how I feel about the
Baylor football program. I don’t want them to have success and now that they’re
schedule begins to get tougher I think they’ll struggle and it’ll start this
weekend against TCU. Even though TCU’s offense hasn’t been what we thought it
was, and they still don’t know if Kenny Hill’s the guy, I think they still have
athletes to put up points. Unfortunately for Baylor, their quarterback Seth
Russell is in the concussion protocol.
TCU
31
Baylor 27
Texas VS Texas Tech
Patrick Mahommes, the nation’s number 1 passer is
banged up , but will still play in this weekend’s game and has some added
motivation if playing Texas wasn’t enough. Texas linebacker Breckyn Hager came
out and said he plans to injure Mahommes, and while he’s already issued an
apology I am sure Mahommes and the Red Raiders won’t be very forgiving. Texas
just got their best win of the year after knocking off Baylor and maybe they
feel like they can talk now. I just don’t think Texas has the talent of either
side of the ball to win this game.
Texas
Tech 41
Texas 30
Nebraska (9) VS Ohio State (6)
This is a HUGE game for an Ohio State team that has
struggled the last couple of weeks. Luckily they get this game at home so maybe
that will help them focus. I still don’t have any belief in Armstrong for
Nebraska so I think this might be just what the Buckeyes need to get back
right. JT Barrett needs to play better and push the ball downfield. Ohio State
made their living the last few years on big plays and that’s something they
have to do if they want to be a true title contender. It starts now.
Ohio
State 34
Nebraska 24
Florida (11) VS Arkansas
Florida is still sitting there with 1 loss and looking
like the team in the driver’s seat to win the SEC East, so they have A LOT to
play for. Arkansas is not looking good at all and they may struggle again this
week. Luckily for them, the game is at home which has proven to be a tough
place to play for opponents. Florida just has too much talent on both sides of
the ball to have their playoff hopes taken away. The Razorbacks strengths in
the last couple of years has been their offensive and defensive lines, but it’s
definitely been their weakness this year. Arkansas will compete but it just won’t
be enough.
Florida
33
Arkansas 17
Washington (5) VS Cal
My most complete team in the country travels to
California for road game that could potentially be a trap game as they have an
improving USC team coming to town next week. If there’s one thing Cal can do,
it’s score points and I don’t doubt they will come into this game hoping to
outscore Washington. That’s a lot easier said than done seeing as the Huskies
have an elite defense and that road win over Utah last week showed me they were
definitely ready for any kind of challenge. I think Davis Webb will make some
plays but Jake Browning will just make more.
Washington
41
Cal 23
Alabama (1) VS LSU (13)
And I had to save the best for last. LSU has been
ROLLING ever since Les Miles got fired. Coach O has them playing a faster and
more exciting brand of football. Leonard Fournette just came back recently and
showed he was still bigtime. He has struggled against Alabama throughout his
career though and I don’t see that changing. LSU has been able to make more
plays through the air as well and they need to be extremely proficient in order
to test an Alabama secondary that will be without star safety Eddie Jackson.
But it’s still Alabama and they have depth at every position so I’m sure they’ll
be fine. I think it will be a close game and one where Alabama quarterback
Jalen Hurts will be challenged. He’s shown he’s ready for all challenges however,
and I think he’ll make the 2 or 3 plays needed to win this game.
Alabama
31
LSU 24
No comments:
Post a Comment