Tuesday, October 25, 2016

NBA SEASON PREVIEW

It seems like yesterday that Cavaliers guard Kyrie Irving rose up over MVP Steph Curry, and drained a series clinching 3 pointer to complete the 3-1 comeback over the Golden State Warriors in game 7 of the NBA finals. I still remember that shot and how great it was and how it ended over 40 years of suffering for the city of Cleveland. Tomorrow the Cavaliers take the court again to receive those rings as the 2016-2017 NBA season begins. I can’t wait for this season! So many storylines after a HUGE free agent offseason. I know a lot of people said this season would be boring and the Cavs and Warriors would walk back to the finals, but I think there’s a lot more to be determined. When I was putting this season preview together, and making my picks for who wins what this year, I definitely came across many teams and players I’m looking forward to seeing on the court.

Season Predictions

Western Conference Finals

Golden State Warriors VS Los Angeles Clippers

Golden State in my mind is a LOCK to make it back to the NBA Finals. With the addition of Kevin Durant added to the mix of 2 time MVP Steph Curry, sharpshooter Klay Thompson, and do it all Draymond Green, no one should question this. They have all the talent in the world and got younger at center by adding Zaza Pachulia. There is not a hole on this team. Not only are they a team that can score and score fast, but they can also lock down defensively. I expect Klay Thompson to continue his rise. As he said, he’s not changing his game. With that mentality, and the talent across the board, it’d be more than shocking if the Golden State wasn’t there in the end.

Is this going to finally be the year of the Clippers? I admit, its tough picking a team with Doc Rivers as a coach to go to the conference finals. But it’s undeniable the talent on the roster. If Chris Paul and Blake Griffin can stay healthy this year, they definitely have a legitimate shot. And hopefully Griffin can keep his hands to himself off the court as well! JJ Redick is quietly one of the best shooting guards in the league and he keeps getting better every year, and who knows, maybe DeAndre Jordan picked up an offensive move or 2 in the offseason. I think the Clippers will have the talent to compete, but still won’t win more than 2 games against the Warriors. 

Sleeper Pick**

Portland Trailblazers

How do you become a sleeper? By having 2 dogs in your backcourt and that’s what Portland has in Damian Lillard and CJ McCollum. Warriors head coach Steve Kerr has already said he could see Dame winning the MVP this year which is saying something. Dame and CJ are 2 guys who are more than capable of getting 30 on any given night, and luckily they don’t have to do it alone. Portland resigned Allen Crabbe and signed Evan Turner as well. Both should be major contributors this year and I really like the rotation of bigs Portland will employ. They definitely have a shot to upset a couple teams in the playoffs. 

Eastern Conference Finals

Cleveland Cavaliers VS Boston Celtics

As long as Lebron and Kyrie are still wearing Cavs uniforms, they will continue to have a spot in the Eastern conference finals. The Cavs bring back just about everyone who was a major contributor and look to be ready to repeat. It took awhile (like 2 weeks ago), but they even resigned JR Smith! Cleveland does have a question mark. After the loss of Matthew Deladova, who signed with Milwaukee, backup court point guard has to be a question on head coach Tyronn Lue’s mind. Now, clearly Kyrie is a top notch PG but with his injury history and the goals the Cavs have this season, he will need his rest and I don’t think Kay Felder is the guy who can hold that spot down. But none of this will matter, because you still have Lebron who can always be your backup for any position. Cleveland needs to be better defensively this year, especially on opposing point guards but they can still shoot with the best of them.

Just as I picked the Clippers in spite of their coach, I’m picking Boston because of their coach.. Brad Stevens has quickly made a name for himself in the league as one of the best coaches in the league! His X and O’s are 2nd to a few and I look for that to even get better. They acquired All Star Al Horford which should help them with a lack of inside scoring and I expect Isiah Thomas to continue to get better and lead this team. There has been talk about the improvement of Marcus Smart and I think that will be huge for Boston. When you’re playing a guy like Kyrie, you guys like Smart and Avery Bradley who can at least compete. Unfortunately it won’t be enough.

Sleeper Pick**

Indiana Pacers

I think Paul George is guy who can win the MVP award this year and is the type who can truly carry a team. His will is something that can’t be questioned after he played every game last season, a year after a horrific leg injury. Jeff Teague comes home to Indy and is ready to be the point guard that George Hill couldn’t be. Monta Ellis still there and although it will take time for he and Teague to gel, if it works, it could be special. The acquisition of Al Jefferson also gives them a proven scorer on the inside which they haven’t had in years. Myles Turner showed flashes last year and Thaddeus Young should be a really good stretch 4 option as well. If all the pieces on this roster play to their ability, the Pacers could definitely surprise someone.
'
MVP
       Paul George
      James Harden
       Kyrie Irving

ROY
       Brandon Ingram
       Joel Embiid
       Kris Dunn

Defensive Player of the Year
       Paul George
       Dwight Howard
       Kawhi Leonard

Most Improved Player
       Devin Booker
       Rodney Hood
       Jabari Parker

6th Man of the Year
       Allen Crabbe
       Stanley Johnson
       Brandon Jennings

Coach of the Year
       Terry Stotts
       Tyronn Lue
       Brad Stevens


As you can see, I expect Paul George to have a HUGE year! Luke Walton said Brandon Ingram would have to earn his minutes and I don’t doubt for a minute that he will. My sleeper team in Portland is another team I can’t wait to see. They paid Allen Crabbe a lot of money this offseason and he should be ready to show us why! All in all, I can’t wait for tonight when the season begins! It isn’t just all Warriors and Cavaliers. There are a lot of teams and players that can straight up ball! Tomorrow they can start giving us a reason to believe that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment