Wednesday, October 19, 2016

COLLEGE FOOTBALL REVIEW AND THIS WEEK'S PICKS

College Football just gets better and better. The contenders are showing up in a major way each week. Teams are being tested and proving they can win games that they probably shouldn’t. Clemson and Ohio State both escaped last week in games they probably should have lost. But they both showed the mentality of teams who can win the championship. And that’s what it’s all about. That’s how you find the winners. Everyone can’t just be Alabama and destroy everyone they play, but they definitely have their toughest test coming up this week. Even when you have those impressive teams, of course you’ll find some that need work. Whether it be turnovers, bad coaching, or something else, some teams just aren’t who we thought they would be.

Most Impressive

West Virginia – So we all wondered how good West Virginia was…and honestly we may still not know. But I am impressed now. They are still undefeated and looking like a team that could possibly win the BIG 12. When you hold Patrick Mahommes and Texas Tech to 17 points, that has to be impressive, The defense, combined with a good offensive of athletic playmakers continue to get better. I know Mahommes was a little banged up but Texas Tech can typically score 40 points in their sleep, and had scored 50 straight points in their last several home games, but West Virginia shut them down! They get Oklahoma and Baylor at home this year which furthers my belief in them winning the conference.

Wisconsin – Now I know they lost, but I came away extremely impressed by the way they fought. Their defense again showed how good it was at times, and frustrated Buckeye quarterback JT Barrett often but he made the bigtime plays when OSU needed them. Badgers quarterback Alex Hornibrook showed a little more ability to make throws than he did against Michigan and his improvement will be good for them going forward. I like what I see from this Wisconsin team. They are definitely on the rise in the BIG 10.

Arkansas – I didn’t think Arkansas had a chance in hell to beat Ole Miss but they did squeak out a victory 34-30. They gave up 30 points and luckily had a kickoff return called back, but they made the plays when they counted on both sides of the ball. Austin Allen continues to look really good at the quarterback position, though he still needs better protection from his offensive line. Dan Enos is great and continue to be exceptional at play-calling. I still don’t think the defense is any good but they made key stops down the stretch to seal the deal. Enos will be tested trying to make calls against a talented Auburn defense this weekend. 

Least Impressive

Tennessee - Just as I predicted, the real Tennessee finally showed up! Yea, they have a few injuries but Alabama completely dominated this game, especially the 2nd half. They simply don’t have enough playmakers to win a game like that. Now granted, Alabama makes everyone look unimpressive, but I just don’t see enough from Tennessee to make me a believer. Dobbs must do a better job at taking care of the ball if they want to improve going forward.

Miami – With a quarterback in Brad Kaaya who some scouts predict to be drafted in the 1st 2 rounds in this season’s NFL’s draft, and many other talented players, it makes no sense that Miami has failed to score 20 points in their last 2 games, both losses. People keep wondering if the “U” will ever be back, and by the looks of things, that’s going to be a long time away if ever! Maybe I’m just an angry Canes fan ranting right now, but when you have the talent you expect better. I hope Mark Richt opens the playbook and stops being so conservative or we won’t have a chance to win the division.

Clemson – Look, Clemson will still likely win the conference but they must have a better showing than they did this past weekend. 4 crucial turnovers, including 2 deep in the red zone won’t get it done. If not for NC State’s kicker missing a chip shot, their season and title hopes would likely be over. Deshaun Watson is still able to be that leader they need but for them to have a different outcome in this year’s playoff than last year’s, they must cut down on the turnovers and their defense needs to start forcing them.

PICK 6

Miami VS Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech has been playing very well as of late and Miami has not! Miami’s defense has been fine. They are young, but talented. It’s going to take Coach Mark Richt allowing his offense to actually play. He has coaching with a such a non-aggressive attitude, it has caused them to lose their last 2 games. This is a game Miami NEEDS to win if they want to have a shot at winning the Coastal division. Maybe it’s the fan in me, but that’s what I’ll go with!

Miami 27
Virginia Tech 21

Texas A&M (6) VS Alabama (1)
Trevor Knight made a name for himself by how he played against Alabama a few years back but now he has to see them again. There’s no doubt that Nick Saban hasn’t forgot that. Knight has been a stabilizing force for the Aggie offense, and a true leader for that team. They have a really good running game, but teams don’t run against Alabama so it’ll be a true test for Knight and Trayveon William who has been great for the Aggies this year. Jalen Hurts has been a Heisman contender for Alabama and truly gets better every week as the Alabama O-Line has given him plenty of protection. It’ll be a great battle for the Miles Garrett lead Texas A&M defensive line. This should be a great game!

Alabama 33
Texas A&M 24

TCU VS West Virginia (12)
West Virginia is looking to continue to prove their forreal! After holding down explosive Texas Tech, they now get another test from TCU and Kenny Hill. I think West Virginia has 2 many weapons offensively and a stout defense that will surely be ready for the inconsistent offense from TCU.

West Virginia 30
TCU 17

Arkansas (17) VS Auburn (21)
It’s always personal when former Arkansas and current Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn coaches against the Razorbacks. He had a bizarre exit from Arkansas so I’m sure he’s looking forward to getting a win Saturday night. Auburn’s defense has been impressive all season and I expect it to continue this weekend. The offense continues to grow as Sean White keeps playing more confident. Auburn also has John Franklin III who is the type of running quarterback that Arkansas has struggled to defend all year. As noted above, I have lots of respect for Arkansas OC Dan Enos an Austin Allen, but I think a road game against that defense will be too much to handle.

Auburn 31
Arkansas 20

Wisconsin (10) VS Iowa
Wisconsin is looking to continue to grow after losing in OT against Ohio State and they have a tough road game against Iowa. Iowa has been up and down this year, but they still have talent on both sides and I expect them to truly challenge Wisconsin. I don’t think it will be enough has that Badger offense continues to grow and that defense is great!

Wisconsin 27
Iowa 17

Ole Miss (23) VS LSU (25)
Might be time for me to stop believing in Ole Miss. They really let me down against Arkansas but they arguably have some of the best talent in the country. LSU has shown a more explosive offense lately, even without Leonard Fournette and may be turning a corner on their season. Chad Kelly needs to bounce back and have a turnover free game for them to win this game I Baton Rouge.

Ole Miss 37
LSU 30

No comments:

Post a Comment