Roadblocks
Ohio State - Has there been a more dominant team than the Buckeyes? This team literally has THREE Heisman trophy contenders in quarterback Justin Fields, running back JK Dobbins, and top 5 NFL draft lock Chase Young. They are the best team in the country when you look at offense and defense, and even have a couple of quality wins as well, dominating 2 teams currently ranked in the top 20 in Wisconsin, and Cincinnati. But are they lock to make the playoff?
Roadblock - A date with Penn State who have been consistently good if nothing else this season. Luckily for the Buckeyes, they do get this game in Columbus. However Penn State has shown that their game can indeed travel as well so I don't expect them to be scared of the moment. Ohio State still has to play against Michigan to end the year, and despite Ohio State being alot more talented, it will still be a tough road test.
Alabama - Alabama's next game is their biggest and IMO only road block left that could prevent them from making the CFP. They have to be anxiously awaiting word if Heisman contender Tua Tagovialoa will be able to play
Roadblock - A matchup with LSU next Saturday night with both teams coming off of a bye. While the Tide has dominated LSU in recent years, this LSU team is different. This is probably the best offense I have seen them have in 10 or so years. They can score better than they can defend which is not typical LSU Tiger football. However they do get this game at home so I give them a much higher chance to survive than I would if they were traveling to Baton Rouge
Clemson - Clemson will likely not get caught sleeping this weekend when they travel to NC State but they do have one more possibly tricky game on the schedule. Trevor Lawrence has turned around his inconsistent play as of late and the Tigers have been rolling.
Roadblock - The rivalry game with South Carolina to close the year. South Carolina has not had the best season but they are a talented team already obtaining a major upset when they defeated Georgia. They won't be afraid of Clemson but will that be enough to pull another top 3 upset? I guess we'll see.
LSU - We touched on this earlier but LSU has tons of talent and this may be their best team in years. They can spread the ball around and boast a Heisman contender in Joe Burrow who's name is racing up the draft boards. Their defense is good and knows how to stop the pass as well.
Roadblock - A road trip to Alabama. Alabama has owned LSU the past several years. Maybe that will enough motivation to get the Tigers prime for an upset. They matchup with Alabama on both sides of the ball and with a quarterback I am giving them a real shot to get it done.
Penn State - If there's one team I didn't expect to perform as well as they have this season, it's easily Penn State. Having to replace a quarterback and other players at the skill positions, they have been great. Sean Clifford has been steady at quarterback spreading the ball around and the defense has been outstanding so far.
Roadblock - A road game in Columbus. Beating both Michigan teams is one thing, but beating maybe the most talented team in the country is another, especially at their house. While I think Penn State will put up a fight, I'd be alot more comfortable with an upset pick if they were at home.
Oregon - Oregon is lead by future NFL top 10 pick at quarterback in Justin Herbert, a strong running game and solid defense that bends but doesn't break much. Oregon has been rebuilding themselves for this moment for awhile now and they have all the makings of a real contender. They do have one loss on the schedule, a game where they blew a double digit lead and ended up losing to Auburn. Outside of that, they have been great this year,
Roadblock - Besides the 1 loss, a road game at Arizona State. Arizona State is a talented team, who is coached extremely well by Herm Edwards. The Sun Devils have come up short their last couple of games, but those have both been on the road. They are a different team at home and will present a solid challenge to the Ducks.
Florida - Lead by quarterback Kyle Trask, Florida has not missed a beat since the starter was injured. Their offense has been solid and the defense remains fast and consistent. Losing by 3 points to LSU is nothing to hang their head about and I can see them bouncing back in a major way this week.
Roadblock - One loss to LSU may not rule them out as their biggest roadblock comes tomorrow when they face off with Georgia. People have forgotten about Georgia since their loss to South Carolina but Georgia is still an insanely talented team. They have great running backs lead by DeAndre Swift and a quarterback in Jake Fromm who's won big games before. Florida will have to play mistake free football offensively and make some turnovers happen on defense. I actually can see them winning this one.
Their may be a few more possible contenders I forgot to mention such as Georgia, who I just think won't be able to justify the South Carolina loss, unless Clemson also loses to them also. I also didn't mention Utah because, I mean does anyone really think Utah is getting selected to be in a College Football Playoff?? But outside of that, I am more than ready to watch this play out and see who gets past their roadblock and sets themselves up with a shot at the National Title.
Week 10 Picks
Georgia (8) VS Florida (6)
Georgia has great talent but it's lead by their running game and I'm not convinced they will be able to get it established against Florida. Fromm is a baller and he will need to make some plays to give his team the edge. In the end, I see Florida getting a late turnover and winning this game close at the end.
Florida 27
Georgia 24
SMU (15) VS Memphis (24)
For the first time, ESPN College Gameday is in Memphis, TN! I grew up near this area so my pick may be a little biased but if I break down the film I feel confident that Memphis will win this game. And it starts on the defensive side of the ball. Both teams can move the ball and score it well, which means its going to come down to who can get stops and I feel Memphis will be able to get more stops than SMU.
Memphis 38
SMU 30
Oregon (7) VS USC
This would be a much needed victory for USC and head coach Clay Helton. There have been several teams that have gone though downward spirals but USC is not even recognized as a power anymore like they were years ago and Helton is a reason. I think everyone in and outside California would love a new coach who they can believe it. Helton has shown he is not that guy. Oregon on the other hand is on fire lately and quarterback Justin Herbert is slowly placing his name in the Heisman race. I think this game won't even be close.
Oregon 31
USC 13
Miami VS Florida State
As a Miami fan I hate what this program has become this season! I was excited when new coach Manny Diaz was hired and promised us something different that former coach Mark Richt wasn't providing and it's been the same boring football and an inability to find a reliable quarterback. Diaz even recruited 5 star quarterback Tate Martell to transfer from Miami, and refuses to put him on the field. And he wonders why Miami can't score, Luckily, Florida State hasn't been much better. Both of these teams used to be perennial powers but sadly it doesn't matter who wins this game on a large scale. Each team is far away from getting back to contender status.
Miami 24
Florida State 20
No comments:
Post a Comment